Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does it say service A required in thirty days on my dash? I am far from the 15,000 mile mark, only 2,600 miles to be exact! :surprise:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have service A in 27 days, and with only 8300 miles. I think mine is coming up on the one year mark it was received at the dealership.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've got the same message around two months before my first anniversary 11/19 with about 5,500 miles on it. I just ignore it and hit OK to continue, not sure how long it's gonna stay with Overdue Message.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Be sure it doesn't affect your warranty....in writing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i am at 9800 miles in two months but haven't seen a A service required yet . but my van was at the dealers for a cluster replacement within two weeks i got it .maybe they have reseted at that time.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The service interval is, and I repeat, UP TO 15,000 miles or 12 months.

If you hit 12 months, with 2000 miles on it, thats time for it to be brought in. A modern car should be inspected thoroughly by a qualified mechanic every 12 months or so, regardless of any other needs, and changing your oil and filter is not a bad idea, either. Not every safety issue, mechanical problem, or impending failure can be detectable from behind the wheel, or from outside the car.

Furthermore, if you drive it in less ideal conditions, such as in frequent stop and go traffic, around town driving, lots of rapid accelerative events, hard braking events, cold starts, or very hot days, your car will reduce that interval. As it should. The idea behind ASSYST is to eliminate unneeded servicing, and keep the car on the road and out of the garage as much as safely and intelligently possible, without reducing ultimate service life or safety. A person who drives their car 40,000 miles a year and spends a lot of it on long highway trips out of stop and go traffic has no need to service the car more than 15k miles, which is inherently a lot less than 12 months. Thats me, by the way. *waves*

Its a lot better than the old 6mo/7500 mile intervals they had before ASSYST, which were not much cheaper inflation adjusted, by the by. American and to a slightly lesser extent, Japanese, cars are built for US consumption with certain things in mind, one of which is that Americans do not know how to maintain cars. They use less precise assembly and more forgiving but less ultimately durable design to compensate for the fact that they will generally remain unserviced and unmaintained except for the oil change, which is actually with todays oils one of the least important parts of car maintenance.

European cars in this country, with the possible exceptions of VWs Jetta and Passat, are not designed for that market reality, for better or worse. Mercedes automobiles are designed for owners that maintain them religiously. Europeans treat their cars as more valuable possessions than Americans do, and European inspections are strident, strict, thorough, and in many cases are done more than yearly. If you bought a Mercedes, it would behoove you to not neglect maintenance on it according to schedule, and to do it either at a dealer, or at a garage that specializes in Mercedes or at least European brands. They are easy to spot, because there is generally a fleet of older European cars perpetually littering the property- if they don't have that, don't use them.

Properly maintained, (which is not cheap) you will love your Mercedes Metris and it will last you for longer than you'd imagine. If you fail to do this, you have bought a money pit that will cause you no end of aggravation as all kinds of things break because the required inspections and related adjustments are not done, and parts that are approaching the need for replacement are not caught in time and will take other components with them when they go, and so on.

If you are not willing to service the car when it tells you to do so, let me give you the best advice you are ever going to get on the subject: Sell it and buy a Ford Transit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The service interval is, and I repeat, UP TO 15,000 miles or 12 months.

If you hit 12 months, with 2000 miles on it, thats time for it to be brought in. A modern car should be inspected thoroughly by a qualified mechanic every 12 months or so, regardless of any other needs, and changing your oil and filter is not a bad idea, either. Not every safety issue, mechanical problem, or impending failure can be detectable from behind the wheel, or from outside the car.

Furthermore, if you drive it in less ideal conditions, such as in frequent stop and go traffic, around town driving, lots of rapid accelerative events, hard braking events, cold starts, or very hot days, your car will reduce that interval. As it should. The idea behind ASSYST is to eliminate unneeded servicing, and keep the car on the road and out of the garage as much as safely and intelligently possible, without reducing ultimate service life or safety. A person who drives their car 40,000 miles a year and spends a lot of it on long highway trips out of stop and go traffic has no need to service the car more than 15k miles, which is inherently a lot less than 12 months. Thats me, by the way. *waves*

Its a lot better than the old 6mo/7500 mile intervals they had before ASSYST, which were not much cheaper inflation adjusted, by the by. American and to a slightly lesser extent, Japanese, cars are built for US consumption with certain things in mind, one of which is that Americans do not know how to maintain cars. They use less precise assembly and more forgiving but less ultimately durable design to compensate for the fact that they will generally remain unserviced and unmaintained except for the oil change, which is actually with todays oils one of the least important parts of car maintenance.

European cars in this country, with the possible exceptions of VWs Jetta and Passat, are not designed for that market reality, for better or worse. Mercedes automobiles are designed for owners that maintain them religiously. Europeans treat their cars as more valuable possessions than Americans do, and European inspections are strident, strict, thorough, and in many cases are done more than yearly. If you bought a Mercedes, it would behoove you to not neglect maintenance on it according to schedule, and to do it either at a dealer, or at a garage that specializes in Mercedes or at least European brands. They are easy to spot, because there is generally a fleet of older European cars perpetually littering the property- if they don't have that, don't use them.

Properly maintained, (which is not cheap) you will love your Mercedes Metris and it will last you for longer than you'd imagine. If you fail to do this, you have bought a money pit that will cause you no end of aggravation as all kinds of things break because the required inspections and related adjustments are not done, and parts that are approaching the need for replacement are not caught in time and will take other components with them when they go, and so on.

If you are not willing to service the car when it tells you to do so, let me give you the best advice you are ever going to get on the subject: Sell it and buy a Ford Transit.

My Metris is only 3 months old though green?

·
Registered
414 Posts
, if you drive it in less ideal conditions, such as in frequent stop and go traffic, around town driving, lots of rapid accelerative events, hard braking events, cold starts, or very hot days, your car will reduce that interval.
Ut oh, I'm in trouble. I'm always flooring it and working those pedal shifters. :surprise:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sure, but if an engine issue arose, the lapse in mileage can be used against you if you try to make a claim.

This is still a first year model. It may take three years to get a feel for the overall reliability score. I'm sure with all the weight that engine has to move around must keep that turbo spooling a lot.

I wouldnt recommend exceeding the intervals if you purchased it for a commitment. Leased on the other hand...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Mercedes dealer main philosophy- sell them their next Benz. You do that with good customer service.
You'd think so, but I told the service writer the other day to NOT to wash my MC. Went to pick it up today and they pull it around ... washed and tires dressed. :frown:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Why would you tell them not to wash it?
Because I don't know what they use in the wash bucket and what or where the wash mitt has been. I worked as a professional detailer for years and I plan to meticulously care for my MC's paint. I doubt any MB service wash is dual-bucket and top-down wash system. Next week I start my new car paint sealant work once all the supplies are in.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am wondering if the service alert is related to the date of mfg? Can anyone who has received the early alert check their vehicle date of mfg to confirm this?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I ordered mine, but it's definitely a possibility that others sat on the lot and developed time there. PM me a vin, I can see when it was manufactured.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The Metris has pretty shitty paint.
Yes, it's does not seem to be up to Benz passenger car caliber. With that said, even more reason to take good care of the paint/clearcoat from the start.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts