Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Self contained A/C inside the Getaway. Possible?

4K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  pounce 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi. I am new here. I have purchased a new MY21 MB Metris Getaway early this year. I wonder if any one has tried to installed a mini self-contained A/C unit designed for boat inside the Metris? If so, how did you do it? I am thinking about the MarinAire Mini 6000 btu model (MSBA6K2 ).

#5 · (Edited)
I think those require a water source, so not possible unless you park next to water. View attachment 21191
Yes. I knew it needs water source. I was trying to see if anyone here ever tried to connect the water inlet and outlet to a water-to-air heat exchanger installed under the hood/floor to form a close loop of water circulating to take out the heat. Theoretically it's possible but I haven't figured out how to run the hoses from the unit inside the van to the heat exchanger outside.

#6 ·
Honestly, you need a massive amount of BTU to cool the van. It's also small so space is a premium. For a bit more you can get a Thor Tellero.

You are not the first person to want this kind of thing. Some options.

Do nothing and get used to natural ventilation. If you get screened side windows the ventilation with the top up is very good.

Add low voltage vent fan.

Rig up a portable ac unit and keep it outside and duct it to the van. Loud inside and takes up space.

Add remote start to the van so when you are sweating your ears off in the middle of the night you can turn on the van and let it cool you down.

I live in Atlanta. Just some months I'm not camping....

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks @pounce . All valid points. Unfortunately upgrading to a class B like Tellero is not an option for me. We actually forfeited our deposit on the Winnebago Solis ordered and switched to the Metris Getaway because our HOA would not allow any type of RV including class B parked on driveway outside the garage. Natural ventilation will work to a certain degree. I am close to finishing my ventilation project. But for those extreme hot days that natural ventilation wouldn't help it would be nice to have an a/c. Given the small space inside the Metris van I truly believe this 6000 btu unit would be sufficient for us although MarinAire has a 9000btu unit but I like the small foot print of this unit that would not take up extra space.

#8 ·
I get the hoa issue. We bought the house behind us just to have a garage that is outside the hoa.

I do not think 6000 would keep the van cool in direct sun in 95 degrees. I think the ac on the van is near 15k. If you want to have fun with it and don't mind giving up later, have fun.

Seriously, grab a portable unit with dual hoses. People even hook them to tents.

That boat unit will not work for you.

#18 ·
This product hasn't even shipped yet. How do you know it's not going to work for the applications it's being marketed for? It's a dual hose rear in/out. Am I reading this right... 'that other snake oil company'? :cautious:

#11 ·
Hi. I am new here. I have purchased a new MY21 MB Metris Getaway early this year. I wonder if any one has tried to installed a mini self-contained A/C unit designed for boat inside the Metris? If so, how you did it? I am thinking about the MarinAire Mini 6000 btu model.
Have you looked into a APU which are intended for use in big rigs but maybe you could adapt one for your van? Or an APU manufacturer might have one designed for camper vans?

#12 ·
It sounds to me an APU is just an off-grid power source that is powerful to run A/C or heater for hours but not an A/C in itself. I am not looking for power source. I am looking for the actual A/C unit that is small enough to fit inside my small van but powerful enough to cool the van.

#16 ·
Yep, you're right, missed that aspect ( multi-tasking ) ... but I liked that it was a minivan application and said to have realistic expectations about this type of product ... versus some of the other hey look I have this running outside on a table, running on a table in my house, just bought this ... more like intros than after 6 - 12 mo of use.

#17 ·
4,000-6000 BTU will cool a properly insulated and shaded Metris. If you're going to try and 'torture test' then you will have a much tougher time.

#20 ·
I wouldn't mind testing such a thing, if I were camping. Maybe running the van A/C for a few minutes, parking in the shade, then one such unit and a fan ...

It reminds me of a project in a greenhouse during the hottest week of the year, 100+F, tarps hung inside for shade - and I am way more of a penguin than a desert creature - ... I had a portable room AC running right next to me as I worked through the space. The only way I could stand it. A wide open glazed space, full sun, maximum air flow through the thing was not enough. Of course the portable AC was a blip on the radar, but it essentially created a small bubble space for me.

Now considering this. Yes, it needs power and the cooling capacity is limited. But it is portable and the cargo space in a Metris is what ... 160 cubic feet ( just a rough 10 x 4 x 4 ) empty. But it won't be empty, perhaps 1/3 will be furniture and luggage. Maybe the van is white in color, hopefully insulated, blinds on the windows, or parking in the shade with movable solar panel? solar panels on the roof shading the van? awning shading the side towards the sun?

It probably isn't good enough to park in the hot sun 24/7 during a heat wave. But, stopping somewhere and doing some lunch, taking a nap, ... parking for the night and wanting to chill the van down a bit. I think this could work reasonably.

#21 ·
If a person only needed it with shore power available the home units are far cheaper. All of them will be loud. The only ones you want will have big hoses to deal with and route to window spaces. Any humidity over say 70 percent will generate condensation you will need to collect to avoid a puddle.

Ive camped in this van with a poptop and I'm just not seeing how a person could reasonably accommodate one of these things. In most all occasions you just suck it up and deal with the heat. If I were to haul this kind of thing and then rig it up I'd want it to cool the van with top up in the sun to 70. Otherwise I would not want a 60db drone in my sleeping space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.