Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey community, does anyone known if it’s okay to drill into the B pillar? I’m building a wooden partition and I’m not sure if or how I can anchor into that part of the van. Width wise was easy enough but I’d like it to be really securely in place all around.
thanks

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
If you want a partition (assuming yours is a cargo) there have been many members here willing to give or almost give their partition away. I’d think even a 2000 mile drive would pay off for you. Do a search, and give it a week for replies to come back. And that would be more solid than anything you could fab.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I’m sure you’re right. But I’ve looked at all the factory made options and they’re all ugly as ****, so i built my own. I already have the wall which traverse the width of the van, and it includes a door with a deadbolt. Now I just have to finish it with two side pieces which hopefully will attach someplace secure...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks, I’m sure you’re right. But I’ve looked at all the factory made options and they’re all ugly as ****, so i built my own. I already have the wall which traverse the width of the van, and it includes a door with a deadbolt. Now I just have to finish it with two side pieces which hopefully will attach someplace secure... View attachment 18010

Nicely done. How did you decide on the vent fan placement? Galley area?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I based on the approximate location of my kitchen. And also the the way the body panels lined up on the roof. There these kind of square pop up patterns on top and I wanted to be within one of those so I could be assured of a clean fit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I did my remodel I installed rivnuts in structural members where needed as attachment points. That would not compromise the strength of said members.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That sounds promising. Can you be more specific?
If you're asking what a rivnut is then it's a threaded rivet you install with a special tool into predrilled holes. You can then bolt or screw whatever into place. They come in a variety of metals from aluminum to stainless and in different sizes and thread count.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I was curious about all of it. But thanks, sounds like a very useful thing, a rivnut. Heretofore I’ve been using self tapping screws to drill straight into the body. Kinda stressful if I’m honest. But the real question is, did you Attach to the B pillar? Because, at least in my case, there’s some very well attached-might break if I pry it too much-body panel. As well as what appears to be an airbag on the upper part. I’m nervous to mess with it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Actually I was curious about all of it. But thanks, sounds like a very useful thing, a rivnut. Heretofore I’ve been using self tapping screws to drill straight into the body. Kinda stressful if I’m honest. But the real question is, did you Attach to the B pillar? Because, at least in my case, there’s some very well attached-might break if I pry it too much-body panel. As well as what appears to be an airbag on the upper part. I’m nervous to mess with it.
No, I mostly used it for ceiling attachment. I attached my partition cabinetry directly to the oem metal partition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I mostly used it for ceiling attachment. I attached my partition cabinetry directly to the oem metal partition.
Ah gotcha. So the question i have is how and where those partitions attach! When I look at the install diagrams there appear to be so many points of attachment. Yet when I assess the thing in reality it does not appear so. Very confusing. I should probably call one of these companies that installs these...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts