Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this will be my first Metris. I will be using it for my mobile vet business so I will have questions on auxiliary power and roof vents to come but my first query is about seating

If I order the 2 row configuration can I remove some seats and end up with a single second row seat? I want the rest for cargo. Do I just lay plywood over the seat tracks when seats are removed ?

thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. So it appears I need order a custom single seat from Mercedes if I read that thread correctly. I’m in Canada so not even sure that is possible

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok I see this is an approved Mercedes upfitter and not Mercedes. So I would need the Euro seat and it will just fit on the rail apparently. Now to find out if they'll ship to Canada

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,120 Posts
ok I see this is an approved Mercedes upfitter and not Mercedes. So I would need the Euro seat and it will just fit on the rail apparently. Now to find out if they'll ship to Canada
It's a single seat from a Vito. You can potentially find one on ebay in North America or Europe and have it shipped. It's definitely going to cost money. If I were running a business and transporting people and needing to insure that situation I'd stick with something more or less OEM. I'm not that familiar with Canadian rules on seats as US rules, but I'm guessing they are more strict.

A single Vito seat will fit the stock seat mount locations.

Are you getting a 21/22 model or ordering a van? The next model year passenger van will not have rails. It will have short mounting brackets/cups. The singles will still fit. Less track to deal with on the floor. There is no need really to cover the track if you are using the back for cargo.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
420 Posts
The passenger rails are flush with the floor. I just put gorilla tape over them to keep stuff from falling in. Mine's a 2018 passenger. I got it for rear AC travelling with dogs (better visibility too).
I just got the auxiliary battery with mine (under the driver's seat). It's charged when the van is running and is isolated when parked so the starter battery doesn't run down. I use it to run a maxxair roof vent and have a 2000W inverter for crate fans, computer etc. I put solar panels on the roof to keep things charged when parked at dog shows etc.
You'll see lots of ideas on this site for higher capacity batteries if you have the need.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. That should power my roof vent perfectly. I am also getting the maxxair.

they quoted $1600 plus shipping not yet determined for the Vito single seat. I want this so will likely go ahead. My van is still likely months away from delivery so I will rejoin the forum when it all comes together !

looks like this will be very helpful

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,002 Posts
Good luck!

Please keep us posted when you have updates or hear news about the next model year from the interactions with your sales person / dealership.

Or if you have questions that come to mind :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,120 Posts
@Allison Not sure if you are a large animal vet or what, but I happened across this Metris setup for dogs. I liked the table slide on it. The model shown could potentially have a width conflict with the rear ac unit in the passenger van if the unit is truly wheel well to wheel well.

Plant Car Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice setup. The one thing its missing for "travelling with dogs" is a roof vent. Mine will be used for pet owners who are not able to commute to a vet's office which generally means seniors with cats. Our clinic was bought out by a big conglomerate which is the norm these days for smaller Dental and Veterinary clinics so this is more of a keep busy project and hopefully, do some good and help some old folks.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,002 Posts
Having grown up without pets, but become a parent to a few cats now, and knowing the situation many elderly people in a rural state or a even a populated state like FL find themselves in, as driving and car ownership becomes more of a challenge ( or risk ) and quite cost prohibitive per mile driven etc; I can totally understand the idea of a mobile vet practice. I have faimly who depend on mobile pet grooming. So why not mobile vets, for cats, dogs, ... ? :)

And rather than the traditional pickup truck or SUV, I can see a Metris fit in 100% fine with a large conditioned volume, without being a more gas hungry box van or ...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,120 Posts
Nice setup. The one thing its missing for "travelling with dogs" is a roof vent. Mine will be used for pet owners who are not able to commute to a vet's office which generally means seniors with cats. Our clinic was bought out by a big conglomerate which is the norm these days for smaller Dental and Veterinary clinics so this is more of a keep busy project and hopefully, do some good and help some old folks.
I think @BellmoreK9Transport was outfitting a van for pet transport as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts