Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me out with a pretty simple question? Can you describe or take a picture of the two different style keys that are supposed to come with the Metris? I only have one key and it has a metal blade insert (glove box key) that also doubles as the key ring hole for the key fob. Tried ordering a second "valet" key from the dealer without the metal blade but the key was identical to mine (missing the blade and hence no key ring attachment point). I'm pretty sure they must make some sort of insert or have another style key that is made to go on your key-rings but my dealership says no. They want $85 on top of the $240 they are already charging for the key. And lets not forget the $185 on top of that for programming the second key!

Just some friendly advice..be careful with your keys or you are going to be out of some serious change to get a new one! Appreciate any help with finding me the right part number or description.

Orb

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
There's only one style of key. For valet purposes, you lock the glove box wit the blade... and then hand them the fob with the blade still on your key ring and in your pocket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well it turned out I was in luck when I went back to the dealer to pick up my key. There was a guy there that just bought a new key for his Mercedes convertible and it was the wrong key. I guess they tried to program it so they couldn't take it back. He gave it to me with a handshake and a Mozel Tov!

Only problem is that the key that they sell on ebay and the one the gentleman gave me has a slightly longer head piece then our key fob was designed to accept. A quick pass at the grinder should take care of that but since I'm away from home right now I can't test it out.

Will post back if I'm successful.

There is also one more option. When I asked to see what a new pair of keys look like the Metris/Sprinter sales guy was kind enough to pull out a set. He confirmed there is only one style. He said that when they come in from Germany some of the commercial vans have a plastic blank in the blade slot to provide a key-ring loop. They usually take them out and throw them away. He had a look round the shop for me but couldn't find one laying around. Might be an option to stop at another dealership closer to home and see what turns up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ours had 4 keys due to one of the packages we ordered, shouldn't be to hard to get ahold of a spare

·
Registered
271 Posts
I never understood the extra two keys under the "convenience package". I mean, unless four people are assigned to the same vehicle (for work).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Second Key blade replacement

Success! Not a perfect fit (not all of the ring hole sticks out) but it sure beats paying an extra $85 for a blade key I'll never use.

Hope these pictures help if anyone is ever in a similar situation (should work with the $3 key blanks on Ebay as well).

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
I never understood the extra two keys under the "convenience package". I mean, unless four people are assigned to the same vehicle (for work).
It's actually the Driver Comfort Package, which is one package that was on my "MUST HAVE" column when weighing options.
One look at replacement cost and I understand clearly. :wink:

Typical Business situation:

1 - Main Driver
2 - 2nd Shift / Back up Driver
3 - Vehicle Fleet Manager / Owner
4 - Spare Key (Off-Site)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts