Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Metris, but so far it seems I have to buy a Passenger Metris in order to get a row of seats behind the driver.
Can anyone tell me if I can retrofit a Cargo van to accept a second row? Or, do I need to purchase a Passenger Metris and remove the extra rows of seat?
Bob

·
Registered
483 Posts
We're building a 'Crew Van' from a 2016 Cargo. Barrage of client projects has stymied the project somewhat. I'll post on this forum once we make some headway into it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any progress on this? I am looking to do the same thing. I bought a metris passenger second row seat off of ebay and was going to buy the mounting hardware from Mercedes. But they told me the mounting brackets were going to run me $2.5K which seemed more than a little excessive seeing I paid $300 for the seat itself. Anyone have any thoughts on a more affordable solution?

Thanks

Oliver

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just visited the MB dealer in my area. I ended up putting a deposit on a Blue 2017 Metris Passenger.

As far as adding a 2nd row seat to the cargo, my saleswoman said it is problematic because the gas tank is directly underneath where the 2nd row goes. She said that getting the passenger model was the way to go. @08ojm,
I think there should be aftermarket or at least dealer outfitters who can install the hardware. My saleswoman told me that they have someone who can install a 2nd row seat in a Sprinter with the proper hardware for $800 or so. As I said, the Metris has the gas tank in the way. But, I am sure there is a way to install the hardware. They just might have to remove the tank so that they don't drill into it.
B

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I can get the mod I want, I'll sell you my rails and seats cheap. I am looking for a retrofit with a sliding rail system (v class, I'm told) and a single rear bench that I can move forward and back as my cargo/passenger needs change. I've been scouring for info on the switch to the V class rails without luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Metris passenger van uses a double layer floor system, the cargo uses a single layer. Same with the Sprinter, Sprinter Passenger and Crew use a very different floor. Seats can be installed, but need extra care, bracing underneath.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely proving harder than I anticipated. I got a set of the seat brackets from the same place I got the seat, Warehouse salvage on ebay.

But on closer inspection I discovered for myself what others are now describing. I think there should be a way of avoiding the fuel tank but it isn't totally obvious. I think I need to get it up on a hoist and do some more careful measuring. But either way once I find a way of bolting them down they are going to be taller than the plywood floor that is in the van so I am going to have to either raise the floor or build some sort of fairing. I'm not really a car guy, but I have my own custom composite shop building carbon fiber parts with a couple CNC machines, so I am plenty handy but I think I might be nearing the limit of my car work capacity.

Anyone have any recommendations of a shop who might take the project on in the Rhode Island area?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts