Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I'm installing a pair of Scopema seat swivels from The Swivel Shop on a 2016 Metris. Here's what I'm dealing with (two issues, labelled 1 & 2 below):

1: I can't seem to figure out how to route the wiring harness with the big yellow plug. The van didn't have either passenger or driver's side swivels from the factory. This harness connector is important as it carries signal info for the airbag controller, heated seat current, seat position indicator - so I'm not about to abandon it. However, I haven't yet seen any route from its origin position under the seat base to the plug under the seat that won't be a problem due to abrasion as the seat swivels. Anyone seen this and figured it out?
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Gear shift

2: There is a seat position sensor mounted on the bottom of the right-hand seat rail. It adds about 3/32" to the bottom of the rail and is welded on. This means the rail won't naturally lie flat on the top plate of the swivel base. If installed per the (non-existent) "instructions" (actually there's just a parts diagram, and NO instrux at all), the rail on the right side would be bent by having the front and rear ends of the rail torqued down to the top plate while the middle of the rail is held up away from the top plate by the seat position sensor. The only reasonable fix I've come up with so far is to shim the whole seat up using washers between the top plate and the seat rail where the bolts go through. I thought about chopping off the sensor bracket and welding it to the inner side of the seat rail, but really don't like the idea of reconfiguring anything related to safety equipment if I can avoid it... Here's a pic of the bracket that's in the way:

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Window

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Check this thread out. Also, here's a pic of how I did it -- the wires go right up the center. You need to release the various zip fasteners to relax the cable a few inches.

Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part Motor vehicle Gas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thanks Focus805! Got it figgered out. Since I'm also adding wiring to the front to pick up engine-run signal and tie-in between DC-DC charger and engine battery I had to remove the seat base and battery anyhow - after I got that stuff back together, I came to the same conclusion, wound up shifting the exit position of the seat wiring harness closer to the rear of the covered top battery compartment access opening. After eliminating the original zip ties I wound up adding a single new zip tie under the seat bottom to hold the wire loom pretty sharply backward. I now get full forward seat travel without any strain on the harness and it doesn't contact any moving parts during sliding or swivelling. Here are the solution pics:

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Bumper
Bag Eyewear Trunk Vehicle door Automotive exterior
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Check this thread out. Also, here's a pic of how I did it -- the wires go right up the center. You need to release the various zip fasteners to relax the cable a few inches.

View attachment 21375

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Simple and elegant fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts