Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Metris cargo van few weeks ago to convert this to camper van.

I tried find back seat/bed.
I could not find any chair on the internet.
Scopema bed/chair is too expensive.

Please advise me anything

Thank you

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,452 Posts
Reimo or Scopema plus Travois custom seats. All of the choices are expensive because they require a smart floor of various configurations.

Is a requirement being able to have passengers while driving or support more than a couple of people camping in the van?

Swivel seats for the front seats and a DIY platform bad can get you a lot of functionality for a lot less than the bench options if you are only ever going to be 1 or 2 people.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reimo or Scopema plus Travois custom seats. All of the choices are expensive because they require a smart floor of various configurations.

Is a requirement being able to have passengers while driving or support more than a couple of people camping in the van?

Swivel seats for the front seats and a DIY platform bad can get you a lot of functionality for a lot less than the bench options if you are only ever going to be 1 or 2 people.
Thank you for your response. I am thinking of 4 people, not always but sometimes.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,452 Posts
If you are going to ride people in the back I'd go with one of the 3 mentioned or get a passenger van. Almost 50% of states require belts for all passengers.

Take your time picking one and if you can, try them out first. They sit a little high and aren't the most comfortable option, but if you aren't getting a pop top and you want a bed at a moments notice these are your choices.

People on the West coast have lots of options for upfitters.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here’s what I did:
Secured L-brackets (from Lowe’s) with existing 8mm heavy duty screw spots, using high quality bolts form a specialty shop. I then cut several boards to fit onto L-brackets with full mattress on top. We don’t weigh much. If we did, I’d get the ikea skorva adjustable beams with brackets and secure them to L-brackets with boards on top. The last board (towards the front) is on top of an ikea toy chest that is secured to d-rings, by those heavy duty ratchet straps. It all comes apart in minutes. We are super happy with this setup. The garage underneath allows for two bikes, pop up tent and all kinds of gear. Also, the swivel seats are a must for joyous camping;) Good luck!

Sorry. Didn’t see that you wanted to seat four. When we thought that we might do that, we considered having a folding double bus type seat professionally installed. Somebody else on here did it and it looks good. Then, we thought, what a great excuse to not take them with us. So, no extra seating.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi - can you please upload some photos of your bed setup? thanks!
If you are asking me, I have everything out with building materials in there right now and probably won’t change it back until spring. I do have this not so great old photo with only 3 boards in and the bed side to side vs the normal front to back with toy chest. If I remember right, forum users pounce, mikit, baron and imants have really cool conversions under the “Metris builds and conversions” section of the forum. I can take a photo of the secured L-brackets with one of the boards, if that would help? Sorry 😞

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi - can you please upload some photos of your bed setup? thanks!

I did put old bicycle tubes, with holes punched in screw spots, to prevent metal on metal. I think that I also put blue loctite on the screws as well. You can see the ratchet hook that secures the toy chest on the left of the first photo. If I wanted to secure the boards further, I would screw in a top plate to the L-bracket. Instead, I just pop them in and out. You could also add support underneath the boards, if weight on top is an issue.
Also, there are so many great builds (that I forgot to mention) and ideas on this forum. Mine is simple requiring a low skill level and frugal, not for everyone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you - I have a cargo van ordered that I will use as both a work vehicle and a weekend getaway camper so I am looking for options to easily add and remove a bed as needed. I did find the other posts and I actually already have several of the 2x4 height adjustable tables that someone else uses so that's probably the route I'll take. Thanks again.

View attachment 18610 View attachment 18611

I did put old bicycle tubes, with holes punched in screw spots, to prevent metal on metal. I think that I also put blue loctite on the screws as well. You can see the ratchet hook that secures the toy chest on the left of the first photo. If I wanted to secure the boards further, I would screw in a top plate to the L-bracket. Instead, I just pop them in and out. You could also add support underneath the boards, if weight on top is an issue.
Also, there are so many great builds (that I forgot to mention) and ideas on this forum. Mine is simple requiring a low skill level and frugal, not for everyone.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,452 Posts
Thank you - I have a cargo van ordered that I will use as both a work vehicle and a weekend getaway camper so I am looking for options to easily add and remove a bed as needed. I did find the other posts and I actually already have several of the 2x4 height adjustable tables that someone else uses so that's probably the route I'll take. Thanks again.
We have these in various sizes. Sams and Costco sell different sizes. Very sturdy, flexible and portable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts