Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Metris friends:
I have a 2017 Metris Passenger van and am working with the existing floor, walls, and headliner. I'm not planning to pull any of those out in the 1.0 version of the van - just anchor my cot, storage drawers, and fridge so that they don't slide around.
My question for this group is - where can I find information on where it is safe to drill into/anchor to the floor, walls, and headliner? I don't want to run into wiring, venting, or anything else. I'm not an engineer (or even very handy, hence the no-build build), so I'm a little hesitant to ask where I can find schematics, but if those would show the layout, I will do my best!
Thanks in advance,
Mary

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hi and welcome: There is not a simple answer, so you are going to have to explore a bit. I don't see any way you can avoid removing the interior panels, at least to explore before drilling. They are actually very easy to remove with a auto body trim tool kit from Amazon or Harbor Freight:

I've attached the MB "Body & Equipment Guideline for Vans" and its addendum for you to look at. Even if you don't think you are "technical," it's worth reading over these guidelines.

In my build on a cargo van, I've managed to avoid drilling any sheet metal on the van -- just replaceable plastic panels -- using the through points on the floor where I have D-rings and sidewall M8 threaded insert points. Those are likely inaccessible on the passenger, though I imagine you could get to them if you remove panels.

Attachments

Reactions: icerabbit and MaryS

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
331 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2016 cargo so this pic may or may not be useful to you. But if you're inclined to remove panels or carpeting, this would give you a good start on where to look for anchors.

The side wall anchor points are M6 x 1.0 and the floor anchors are M8 x1.25.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and welcome: There is not a simple answer, so you are going to have to explore a bit. I don't see any way you can avoid removing the interior panels, at least to explore before drilling. They are actually very easy to remove with a auto body trim tool kit from Amazon or Harbor Freight:
View attachment 18670

I've attached the MB "Body & Equipment Guideline for Vans" and its addendum for you to look at. Even if you don't think you are "technical," it's worth reading over these guidelines.

In my build on a cargo van, I've managed to avoid drilling any sheet metal on the van -- just replaceable plastic panels -- using the through points on the floor where I have D-rings and sidewall M8 threaded insert points. Those are likely inaccessible on the passenger, though I imagine you could get to them if you remove panels.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
951 Posts
Thank you! Currently I am zip-tying to the rails, but trying to up my game a wee bit.
If you look at some of the accessories that are sold for the vans some of them anchor to the rail slots. Instead of zip ties you can take a T like bracket and slip it into the slot and turn 90 degrees. Now if you pull up on it you can screw that to the side of something or use straps and pulls. Think of the rail like a big D ring. Excuse me if this is too technical. Basically, you can put something in the slot and wedge it to create an anchor you can fix to.

You can safely cut additional holes in the rail also. Drill a hole and run a self tapping screw through the aluminum.

Look at this Reimo bed. Those tie downs are a two piece approach. You take the anchor and slip it in the rail. Then you take the toggle and attach it to the anchor and then pull down. That pulls the anchor in the slot and pulls the bed frame down tight. Maybe it goes you some ideas. Very good you want to anchor this stuff as cabinets can kill you in a sudden stop.

Note: these images are from a Vito that has 4 sliding rails so they look different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2016 cargo so this pic may or may not be useful to you. But if you're inclined to remove panels or carpeting, this would give you a good start on where to look for anchors.

The side wall anchor points are M6 x 1.0 and the floor anchors are M8 x1.25.
If you look at some of the accessories that are sold for the vans some of them anchor to the rail slots. Instead of zip ties you can take a T like bracket and slip it into the slot and turn 90 degrees. Now if you pull up on it you can screw that to the side of something or use straps and pulls. Think of the rail like a big D ring. Excuse me if this is too technical. Basically, you can put something in the slot and wedge it to create an anchor you can fix to.

You can safely cut additional holes in the rail also. Drill a hole and run a self tapping screw through the aluminum.

Look at this Reimo bed. Those tie downs are a two piece approach. You take the anchor and slip it in the rail. Then you take the toggle and attach it to the anchor and then pull down. That pulls the anchor in the slot and pulls the bed frame down tight. Maybe it goes you some ideas. Very good you want to anchor this stuff as cabinets can kill you in a sudden stop.

Note: these images are from a Vito that has 4 sliding rails so they look different.

View attachment 18673
I had not seen these - thanks so much!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Metris friends:
I have a 2017 Metris Passenger van and am working with the existing floor, walls, and headliner. I'm not planning to pull any of those out in the 1.0 version of the van - just anchor my cot, storage drawers, and fridge so that they don't slide around.
My question for this group is - where can I find information on where it is safe to drill into/anchor to the floor, walls, and headliner? I don't want to run into wiring, venting, or anything else. I'm not an engineer (or even very handy, hence the no-build build), so I'm a little hesitant to ask where I can find schematics, but if those would show the layout, I will do my best!
Thanks in advance,
Mary

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Mary,
I have a 2016 Passenger Metris. I use the floor cross bars that retain the seats to anchor heavy items in my van. They have to be extremely strong to hold the seats and their occupants during the peak forces of a crash. They may not be in the right place for your needs, but no modification to the vehicle and their strength are pluses.
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Think of fastening the bottom of a box to the floor, not the legs of a cot, a U-bolt from the rail pins through the bottom of the box.

·
Registered
35 Posts

View attachment 18673
Great ideas and thread. I have the same question about trying to secure items without having to drill into the floor. I was wondering how I could use the factory seat rails to secure items like my surfboard rack and I think I understand this T bracket approach @pounce . If anyone find any other images that show the U.S. seat rails being used as anchor points for things other than seats please do post them!

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
951 Posts
@surfmetrisca do you intend to keep seats in the back or want to retain the ability to put the seats back? You could also replace your rails with L track if you needed a lot of flexibility for anchoring locations.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@surfmetrisca do you intend to keep seats in the back or want to retain the ability to put the seats back? You could also replace your rails with L track if you needed a lot of flexibility for anchoring locations.
@pounce I sold the seats and don’t intend to ever put them back in so I love the idea of replacing the factory seat rails with L track. Have you seen this done by anyone? Any idea how difficult?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
951 Posts
I have vito rails that are also l track. I needed these because I wanted to use seats in them. They cost more than plain l track, but you can get then from metrisseats or eBay.

Using torx 45 you can remove a rail and measure the profile and see how close you can get with some of the l track offerings from uscargocontrol or cargoeqipmentcorp etc. You can get recessed track. It's not going to be as deep so you will probably need to add spacers.

You could also consider making a jig and drilling out your rails to make them like l track. If you never intend to use them for seats you can put whatever holes you want in them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts