Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two females in my household are short and one has arthritic knees. Has anyone fitted running boards to ease ingress and egress? If so what brand. I've found some on line that claim to fit the Metris, but I'm wary.
There is also no grab handle for the front passenger to assist entry. Any suggestions there?

BTW, we love out Metris so far. I did a 1500 mile trip with 2 friends and we all shared the driving. We all agreed it was superb on the highway. Steering was precise and centered well, holds a line through corners nicely and plenty of power.

Thanks, Dave

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
My grandmother- failing health and quite arthritic everywhere (although not bad for 90) gets in just fine with one of those folding step stools that's been populating everyone's ASOT aisles these days. Folds tiny, works great, doesn't mess up your ground clearance or fuel economy. Also makes you seem vaguely gallant and chivalrous, maybe.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My wife also has knee problems and she was used to the "A" pillar grab handle on the SUV that the Metris replaced but finds that she can use the cup holder on the dash to hold on to. We are still working on getting out gracefully. Our son and daughter-in-law have an ML with side rails and we find them awkward. I second Greenmanedlion's suggestion about the folding step stool.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My wife also has knee problems and she was used to the "A" pillar grab handle on the SUV that the Metris replaced but finds that she can use the cup holder on the dash to hold on to. We are still working on getting out gracefully. Our son and daughter-in-law have an ML with side rails and we find them awkward. I second Greenmanedlion's suggestion about the folding step stool.
She uses the cup holder as you mentioned. However the plastic dash flexes a bit when you put some force on it as you enter. I'm worried it'll crack in the future. When she's driving she can use the steering wheel as an aide. There's a vertical piece in the front near the "A" pillar. Does anyone know if it would hurt the structural integrity to screw a grab rail to it? The folding step stool of course will work, but requires that someone then pick it up and put it in the van. She often drives alone so that's not a viable option. We've had a van and a large SUV with running boards and she quite likes them. So.....I'll keep looking. I've got a truck accessory dealer looking for me also. He's found something, but it's listed as "coming soon", so no luck there yet.
Thanks for the replies.
Dave

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know for sure but thought there was a speaker in there. The "A" pillar would be best but there is an air bag in there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I had seen the first one, but didn't wish to order from overseas. They do look good though.
I've actually got an appointment scheduled to have a set installed Friday at a local shop. They're from TrailFx and are an oval tube shape like the second one you posted. Black though, not chrome. That is all that's available from them right now, and my wife doesn't want to wait any longer.
The driver's side just extends under the driver's door, and the passenger side is full length. Cosmetics are taking a back seat to function.
Thanks to all who responded.
Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts