Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am new here… recently bought a 2018 Metris. Love it because it is the closest thing to a Chevy Astro van, new on the market that can tow a trailer.. I am having difficulty finding any aftermarket products that fit the vehicle. I recently bought these running boards from Omac and they came with some pretty bad instructions for installation and the wrong mounting parts. Not sure yet if I will have to return them since they are trying to figure out what I am missing. So far customer service has been great. I'll post here if I am successful in installing them. I am struggling to find anything that has legible installation guides and can be installed without drilling into the vehicle. Recently purchased direct mount roof cross bars from Omac (not received yet) and I have spent countless hours looking for a fold down bench seat option under $8k. Who would have thought that Mercedes didn't figure that out ahead of time???
running boards.jpg

Thoughts?
ERKUL = Side Steps Running Boards Nerf Bars Set. For Mercedes Metris W447 2016-2020 × 1

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Mercedes has figured out fold down seats for this chassis; those $8k options you are talking about are most probably Mercedes OEM folding bench seats from the Vito or V-class which are the same chassis (a Metris is a Vito with a gas engine).

Mercedes has chosen to offer this van in a configuration specifically designed to discourage purchase from buyers looking for a personal vehicle; the seats offered are intended to see the passenger van version used for taxi, livery, and shuttle services only. The dealers have been very insistent to MB corporate that they don’t want the Metris (or a potential V-class) to be a viable competitor in the showrooms to the GLS at half the price- a v-class is actually a superior vehicle as family transport to the much more cramped GLS, although I would think the GLS buyer would find the much more Sparten Metris/Vito far too austere to really consider it, no matter how much cheaper it is.

A running board is a component of a vehicle designed to accommodate the weight of a reasonably heavy person standing on it. You don’t just glue the thing on with crazy glue. Unless mounting points (that is to say, brackets with holes to bolt the thing into) are already present on the vehicle, there is no safe and proper way to install one without carefully finding the correct structural locations, and then drilling appropriate bolt holes into them. This chassis is not designed to accommodate running boards; the ground clearance of the van as delivered is already marginal for some applications- there’s a reason lifting them is popular on this board.

I know that one of the companies making Metris conversion vans offer cosmetic running boards (the name of the company escapes me at the moment), and I am not sure how they do it, but most companies in that market are notorious for the general crappiness of their work. Even so, I assure you it involves drilling or welding or both.

The Metris/Vito is designed as a cargo van first, a commercial passenger van second, and a family car not at all. The V-class (which is not sold here and is the other vehicle on the chassis, and there are quite a lot of differences) is designed as a VIP transport first and a family vehicle second, and achieves a child-friendly step-in height using a kneeling function in the optional AirMatic air suspension system, which is not available in the Metris, the Metris can not accommodate it, and if it could, trust me, $8k would look like peanuts.

I would either be willing to carefully drill and seal for the running boards, or abandon the idea- leaning to the latter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mercedes has figured out fold down seats for this chassis; those $8k options you are talking about are most probably Mercedes OEM folding bench seats from the Vito or V-class which are the same chassis (a Metris is a Vito with a gas engine).

Mercedes has chosen to offer this van in a configuration specifically designed to discourage purchase from buyers looking for a personal vehicle; the seats offered are intended to see the passenger van version used for taxi, livery, and shuttle services only. The dealers have been very insistent to MB corporate that they don’t want the Metris (or a potential V-class) to be a viable competitor in the showrooms to the GLS at half the price- a v-class is actually a superior vehicle as family transport to the much more cramped GLS, although I would think the GLS buyer would find the much more Sparten Metris/Vito far too austere to really consider it, no matter how much cheaper it is.

A running board is a component of a vehicle designed to accommodate the weight of a reasonably heavy person standing on it. You don’t just glue the thing on with crazy glue. Unless mounting points (that is to say, brackets with holes to bolt the thing into) are already present on the vehicle, there is no safe and proper way to install one without carefully finding the correct structural locations, and then drilling appropriate bolt holes into them. This chassis is not designed to accommodate running boards; the ground clearance of the van as delivered is already marginal for some applications- there’s a reason lifting them is popular on this board.

I know that one of the companies making Metris conversion vans offer cosmetic running boards (the name of the company escapes me at the moment), and I am not sure how they do it, but most companies in that market are notorious for the general crappiness of their work. Even so, I assure you it involves drilling or welding or both.

The Metris/Vito is designed as a cargo van first, a commercial passenger van second, and a family car not at all. The V-class (which is not sold here and is the other vehicle on the chassis, and there are quite a lot of differences) is designed as a VIP transport first and a family vehicle second, and achieves a child-friendly step-in height using a kneeling function in the optional AirMatic air suspension system, which is not available in the Metris, the Metris can not accommodate it, and if it could, trust me, $8k would look like peanuts.

I would either be willing to carefully drill and seal for the running boards, or abandon the idea- leaning to the latter
Thanks Greenmanedlion.
The Metris has installation points for mounting running boards. They are currently appointed with plugs. I have discovered that when the Metris has extra heating capacity for the passenger area, the under carriage is configured differently to accommodate. I was able to get all but 1 underside mount to fit due to this. The mounts and the boards are very heavy and sturdy. I had to slightly trim (grinder with metal cut off wheel) the driver side middle bracket about 3/16 of an inch to accommodate the length wide channel it fits into. All good as these work well.
as for the $8k seats...that was an aftermarket fold down bench seat I saw on a Metris camper converters sight. Have not seen anything from Mercedes but the Euroseats. You are on point when you mention the shotty aftermarket parts. Lots of what is being sold on line is complete junk from Turkey. No valid instructions and they claim many parts will fit any vehicle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If those are the plugs pictured as R1 and R2, those are meant as a jacking point, not somewhere to mount running boards.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you noticed that the vehicle shown on the instructions is the previous W639 version and not the W447 model ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn’t notice that. I am ashamed.
Not sure if you are replying to the running board instructions I posted. They are listed for 2003 and up. They are also listed on the sellers website as being compatible to a Metris 2016 and up passenger and cargo. What it doesn’t state is anything about the auxiliary heater and the undercarriage being different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got a set of running board from aliexpress. i got my friend's shop to help me. And i am glad i did that. Instruction wasn't the greatest. My friend was under the van for 45min to finally figure out where each bracket go. Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a set of running board from aliexpress. i got my friend's shop to help me. And i am glad i did that. Instruction wasn't the greatest. My friend was under the van for 45min to finally figure out where each bracket go. Good luck with the install.

View attachment 18128
I managed to get mine installed but the instructions were not very good either. I had to take a grinder and trim one of the brackets down on the drivers side center. I have placed the 17 and 15mm ratchet sets In with my tire jack to have them readily available because the mounting Holes for the running boards are Jack points when you get a flat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts