Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to order a Sprinter conversion with 12V rooftop AC (ProAir) run from a large lithium battery bank (Lithionics). I'm now more interested in a Metris. Searched "rooftop AC Metris" on Google but didn't see much. Are there better mounting options or some major downside to rooftop intall (poptop delete)?

Goal is engine off AC time. Primary use dog hauler (South Florida).

Thank you,
David

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
493 Posts

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
119 Posts
I have seen a few listings with roof AC in the past. Currently I am only seeing one, an almost new modified for refrigeration cargo model listed in Ohio on TruckTrader.

You may indeed have to talk to a couple conversion companies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies. Can anyone recommend a conversion company? I'm in South FL but willing to travel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Considered a rooftop AC for my '17 cargo but couldn't find anything that would clear the garage door so opted for a ventilator only. You'd need quite the lithium system to juice an air conditioner. Also looked at some portable units that snap vent hoses onto in and out ports on the sidewalls with the main unit sitting on the ground. Those are intended for use in large dog houses. Another consideration is the small portable space units one would use in their work shed for instance which you'll find in the big box stores etc.. They would sit in the cargo area and vent hot air out a port on the wall. The downside is they are generally noisy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was going to order a Sprinter conversion with 12V rooftop AC (ProAir) run from a large lithium battery bank (Lithionics). I'm now more interested in a Metris. Searched "rooftop AC Metris" on Google but didn't see much. Are there better mounting options or some major downside to rooftop intall (poptop delete)?

Goal is engine off AC time. Primary use dog hauler (South Florida).

Thank you
David
You might try the marine industry. There are A/C units designed for small sail boats. I can't recommend any as I have been away from the industry for several years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the replies. As far as I know there are three main manufacturers for battery powered 12V rooftop AC for RVs: ProAir, Nomadic and one other that sorry I've forgotten the name. With a big Li bank ($$$) you can run the AC of battery all night. I think the Coachmen Galleria Li3 model was one of the first commercial RV's to use this set up (ProAir and Lithionics). A lot of people are doing it in Sprinter builds.

These AC units are low profile so you can fit your Metris into an 8' garage.

Not sure if there are any high output alternator options for the Metris or second alternator mounting brackets. That's the preferred method of charging on Sprinters. I'm planning to charge with shore power in my garage and use the van to take my dogs to work during the day occationally. Not sure what kind of charge I can get while driving the Metris.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
281 Posts
I'm planning to charge with shore power in my garage and use the van to take my dogs to work during the day occationally. Not sure what kind of charge I can get while driving the Metris.
I used to have serious nightmares about dogs in hot cars. Can't always find shade at the dog shows but the Maxxair and crate fans help a lot. Where I worked (now retired) we had it written into our contract that we could have dogs in our offices :).

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
10 Posts
Not sure where I heard this, but I think 30amps is about the max available alternator capacity. The Kisae DMT1230 seems to be doing well with my 200ah bank with no ill effects to the van.

Far too small for an aircon though, as even the smallest DC units would drain the battery in about 3-4 hours at most, and would take 6+ hours of driving to recharge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts