Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tested my roof top tent on the Metris. I have used the tent several times with my last vehicle but wanted to try an initial setup on the Metris. The tent is a Smittybilt Overlander. I usually use it with my 10 year old son. It's very comfortable for two. They make a larger version now that can sleep 3-4. With the middle bench out of the van and the two front seat swivels installed, it will work well for sleeping on top and hanging out below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,448 Posts
Super cool. How does one of those tents manage the support ladder and the van rocking side to side etc with movement? I've never been up in one to get a feel for how they work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tents is really stable. I don't feel any rocking when moving around up there (not sure about rocking when shagging but still should be fine :)).
The load capacity spec for the tent is 660lbs. The tent itself weighs 118lbs. For a rack I am using the Yakima Timberline towers and 60" Yakima CoreBar crossbars. The Yakima bars are rated at 165lb dynamic load. The Metris has a maximum roof load of 330lbs (I assume that is dynamic and can handle more static). The manual also mentions reduced roof load based on number of support points. I may play around with crossbar location. I have the Yakima crossbars 32" apart and equal distance on either side of the Metris middle rail support. If I move the crossbars between the Metris middle and rear rail support, it may be even more stable since the load points will be closer to the rail supports.
One note about the Yakima rack, once the bars are attached to the towers, each set can be removed from the roof really easily and reinstalled easily. I am not going to keep the rack on all the time. I will just put it on when I need it (mostly for using the roof tent). If I kept it on the entire time, it would reduce mpg and also can be an issue in commercial parking garages. I had my first experience last week with that. I started to pull into the dentist's parking deck and noticed the height bar said 6'6". I slowly started under and noticed I was going to be an inch or two tall. I'm sure most commercial garages are not that short but no need to deal with it. The van fits in my home garage with the rack on.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
6’6-6’8” is a common rated clearance for garages; their actual clearances are usually higher. Two reasons: 1) they don’t want a 6’9” vehicle in a 6’10” garage going over a bump at speed, and 2) they don’t want commercial vans anc trucks in their garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts