Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am considering a long, narrow roof top box to carry things on top of our Metris.

I have a rear tray that mounts to the hitch, but it drags on inclines/declines and I am worried about security.

Interior space is fair, but I would like outdoor and stinky items to stay out of the cabin (hockey bags, beach toys, wet gear). I have read that for some vehicles, the lower profile cross bars do not allow clearance of attachment mechanisms for roof top boxes.

Anyone have experience with these?

Thank you!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have the Thule Cross bars (Not sure if they are the low-profile ones) and I attached my European-style BMW roof box. All i had to do was machine new lugs since the T-track of the bars were a tad smaller than those in my BMW (Thule-made) bars. But If I were to buy one of the new boxes with the clamping system they would have fitted just fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
roof rack

DerDichter, are your crossbars mounting at the same level as the roof rails(low profile) or on top of the roof rails(high towers)? If it is low profile, how many centimeters between the crossbar and roof? The newer easy attach clamps need a bit more clearance compared to the old U-bolt type. Lastly, how is your MPG with and without box? Thank you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the Malone 58" universal crossbars with the Yakima Rocketbox 14. You can lookup the dimensions of the topbox, but it's pretty large and long. The crossbars aren't as low of a profile as the OEM crossbars on my old Frontier. Those sat flush with the roof rails. The Malone bars I have sit about 1" above the Metris roof rails. Still, there shouldn't be a problem with putting on a top box with low profile crossbars. My Yakima's clamp system is pretty stout and still has plenty of clearance.

My top box doesn't impact MPGs as much as I thought it would. I measured fuel consumption with the box on and off. And it's such a small difference, it almost doesn't matter. For reference, I get an indicated 29.6 mpg on the dash with the van loaded. This is with a top box full of camping stuff and cargo area with 2 motorcycles and gear. Without the box, I get about 30 mpg. The top box sits in the middle of the van, which I thinks helps to reduce wind resistance. Speed doesn't exceed 65mph. As soon as I go faster than 65, mpg drops significantly.

·
Registered
248 Posts
DerDichter, are your crossbars mounting at the same level as the roof rails(low profile) or on top of the roof rails(high towers)? If it is low profile, how many centimeters between the crossbar and roof? The newer easy attach clamps need a bit more clearance compared to the old U-bolt type. Lastly, how is your MPG with and without box? Thank you.
Hey, no, they are sitting on top of the rails, but they sit low, that's what I thought you meant by low profile, I've seen some that sit much higher.

It's going to be hard to tell the difference with and without the roof box. I have only used the roof box in long trips where the whole van is fully loaded with 5 passengers, trunk full and roof box full. so the measurement would lie, plus my van is Diesel.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

·
Registered
499 Posts
I actually want a rear-door cargo box. https://www.aluminess.com/ was taking suggestions for their first Metris products. I made a request thread here while back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts