Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a Metris passenger off the lot - unfortunately it does not have the roof rail option.

Anyone know if it is a big deal to install roof rails?

I anticipate having to carry canoes, lumber, and the like up there from time to time.

Just wondering what my options might be when the vehicle comes without the factory rails.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / insight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No worries at all, there are many options that mounts directly to the mounting points on the roof of the Metris. Many rack manufacturers makes them with the mounts specifically for Metris, however there are some Racks that are sold for the MB Sprinter, That could be installed with separate mounts that could be purchased specifically for the Metris. I just ordered the Tracrac bars
https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=...IHZB1VAJGVT56XLRVYZUA&ref_=pe_623860_70668670
With the Thule KIT3029 and been assured that it will fit the MB Metris roof mounting points, despite many websites claim that it only fits the Sprinter.
Just keep in mind that while many racks advertise a weight capacity that is significant, the Metris can only carry 331lbs

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont believe these will work.Can you please let me know if it does when you get them? I have tracrac on all my other vans and I love them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I dont believe these will work.Can you please let me know if it does when you get them? I have tracrac on all my other vans and I love them.
Sure, I got the rack bars, the mount feet, I am just awaiting the actual Metris van.... I got in contact with Tracrac/Thule (same company) and they assured me that the mounts are for Metris vans and would fit. Will update when I have the van I ordered late April.

·
Registered
34 Posts
MY18 DOG lists it as follows:
- B66560637 ROOF RAILS, BLACK (RETROFIT CODE D12) $600

Bars are:
- A6398900493 BASIC CROSS BARS (2), BLACK (220 LB CAPACITY) $330
- A6398900393 ADDITIONAL BASIC CROSS BAR MIDDLE, BLACK (INCREASE TO 330 LB CAPACITY) $180

For comparison, it's a $390 option when selecting it with your van. No matter how strong your rails and bars are, your van can only carry <=331lbs on the roof when driving.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you installed the tracracs on the thulle mounts yet? Did it worked?
I know I paid for the van and I signed all the paperwork, but the dealer told me that since it comes from the Carolina's region it got delayed because of the hurricane...... not sure if they are telling me the truth, but have no Choice to be patient.
I will definitely reply once I have the van and installed the bars, and provide pictures.

·
Registered
40 Posts
MY18 DOG lists it as follows:
- B66560637 ROOF RAILS, BLACK (RETROFIT CODE D12) $600

Bars are:
- A6398900493 BASIC CROSS BARS (2), BLACK (220 LB CAPACITY) $330
- A6398900393 ADDITIONAL BASIC CROSS BAR MIDDLE, BLACK (INCREASE TO 330 LB CAPACITY) $180

For comparison, it's a $390 option when selecting it with your van. No matter how strong your rails and bars are, your van can only carry <=331lbs on the roof when driving.
Absolutely correct! The bars I will install can carry way more, just not the van..... the only reason Why I chose the TracRac bars is simply, that I currently have them on my pick up truck and love how easy it is to strap lumber down with the rachet system, and they do not rust or anything.. many of the bars available are looking rather flimsy and I do like to put trim materials on my van for transportation, the bigger stuff will have to be delivered from now on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you installed the tracracs on the thulle mounts yet? Did it worked?
Hi there, I finally took ownership of the Metris and here are some pictures of the TracRac roof system that also works with the Metris as it does the Sprinter. As mentioned before, you would need the extra shoe for the Metris pictured here. Thule apparently Thule owns Tracrac. All works great and ready to lock and load.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can you state please how wide these bars are? I am debating between 60 and 65 inches. Not sure if extra 5inches is worth overhang. Hoping to move boards and occasional lumber.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Surf racks?

Anybody use these VanTech racs they sell at eurocampers? looks like mostly industrial use but I would be using on my passenger for surfboards and recreation eqpt.

If anybody else has specific experience hauling surfboards on a Metris I'd like to hear it. I had a great yakima surfboard system on my old car that had built in bungees. Curious if anyone has outfit the TracRac with a surfboard configuration with success on a Metris.

Sorry, I'm a goobtron and this is my first post (eurocampers link won't post). Please redirect me if this should go in another forum location.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, I finally took ownership of the Metris and here are some pictures of the TracRac roof system that also works with the Metris as it does the Sprinter. As mentioned before, you would need the extra shoe for the Metris pictured here. Thule apparently Thule owns Tracrac. All works great and ready to lock and load.
Also, where did you get the Vito/Metris adapter boots? Dealer? Can't find them online anywhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just installed my 'Ladder Rack' two bar system from Vantech. I only needed a minimal amount of rack and didn't want to spend the $600 MB wanted so ordered this white aluminum rack from Vantech. A bit tricky getting the screws into the MB holes because of clearances and needed one extra wasther for snug fit but since this was only a $260 part well worth the effort

·
Registered
2019 Metris Cargo Van
4 Posts
I'm not sure if this is still an active thread at all but thought I'd ask... has anyone tried the OMAC roof rails?

These look pretty ideal to me but I am a complete noob and so I'm hoping those of you with greater experience might have familiarity with OMAC in general or with these Rack/Rails specifically.

FYI, I don't even own the Van yet. I am still in the negotiation process and the vans I like the best in terms of overall feature also have a naked roof. I happen to be a Realtor and my van-plan is to build a "Mobile Office" for work and use as a personal vehicle ~350 Days a year. I'll also build a couple of "Modules" or Cubes that I can drop in and convert to a sleeper/light camper for the occasional road-trip or weekend getaway.

So here is what I find attractive about these Racks & Rails:
  • They look Stock and I like that
  • The capacity "This product is able to carry over 225 LBS 100 kg easily, but TUV NORD Germany certifies the highest load-bearing capacity as 165 LBS 75 kg based on the roof carriage capacity of vehicles."
  • Price! I will likely get the "Better" version of each but they do have versions that are slightly cheaper. Note though that on the crossbars I link there are 3 crossbars, the cheaper ones only include 2 I think. The Side Rails I chose are $165 and the Cross Bars are $120 so for $285 I am good to go on the roof with 3 bars instead of 2
  • The photos show what appears to be high-quality, aerodynamic parts and Omac is supposedly an OEM Manufacturer for European Auto Companies
  • Made in Europe and shipped from Houston, TX
  • They are available in either Silver or Black (I like the black as I am largely trying to keep the colors to Black & White on the rig)
  • They offer a ton of other upgrades and so for the cost of a Thule system I can also get Molded Pads, Window Deflectors, A hood Bug Deflecor and 2 "Folding Car Door Latch Hook Step Foot Pedal Ladder." This thing looks GENIUS. I have links for it and for the rack parts down below.
So, here are the links:

Here are the specific Racks & Rails that I am thinking about:
Side Rails: Top Roof Rack Side Rails Bars Alu Black For Mercedes Metris W447 2014-2020
CrossBars: Roof Rack Cross Bars Luggage Carrier Black for Mercedes Metris Vito W447 2014-

Here are all the Side Rails: Roof Rails
And All CrossBars: Roof Racks Cross Bars

Here is the ingenious Foot-Rest Ladder Thingy: Folding Car Door Latch Hook Step Foot Pedal Ladder for SUV Truck Roof

I look forward to any comments or insights that you have to offer. Thanks!
Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts