Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Andy Im in LA area too. Im interested in putting a low profile rack on my Metris. Ive been scouring craigslist this week, for custom fabricators. There are a quite a few. I will be contacting some to see what they can do and cost. My primary use for the rack will be to support two adults in a cot tent, mount a swing out awning, possibly a solar panel. Also some small utility lights.
My metris is my daily driver / moto / mtb / camper van. Its a great do it all vehicle...

Where you able to find a good fabricator to do what you were looking for?
I also want to do some type of roof rack but very low profile.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,002 Posts
What if you could assemble your own?

For low profile + adventuring, maybe roof storage and/or a roof tent and/or solar, I would look at Front Runner Outfitters Slimline series. No MB rails with then cross bars over it etc, or commercial rack with towers.

In terms of offered space, attachment and load / weight distribution, it probably does not get any better than this ...

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Car

( no experience with the product, no affiliations )

·
Registered
212 Posts

For low profile + adventuring, maybe roof storage and/or a roof tent and/or solar, I would look at Front Runner Outfitters Slimline series. No MB rails with then cross bars over it etc, or commercial rack with towers.

In terms of offered space, attachment and load / weight distribution, it probably does not get any better than this ...

View attachment 20809

Approximate Installed Weight: 51.98kg (114.6lbs)

Leaves about 60 lbs for cargo? Roof rack is 175 lbs right?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

View attachment 20809

It's really nice, especially as it's for a 135 and looks like you can remove slats to make way for the roof vent, if needed. And it would solve my kayak transport problem. Sadly, Two Large is out of my willing-to-pay price range.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,002 Posts
Correct, slat placement is flexible.
And, yes, the price is serious. Certainly not something for casual use. But for a vacation vehicle mini camper conversion, maybe some lights, solar panels, toys? and a bit of extra storage, spare fuel, propane, ... the more you can do, the better the enjoyment and the value. More options than the standard two three slats across and a ski box ...
And you don't have to get the factory rails.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Correct, slat placement is flexible.
And, yes, the price is serious. Certainly not something for casual use. But for a vacation vehicle mini camper conversion, maybe some lights, solar panels, toys? and a bit of extra storage, spare fuel, propane, ... the more you can do, the better the enjoyment and the value. More options than the standard two three slats across and a ski box ...
And you don't have to get the factory rails.
I hear you -- in the scheme of upfits, if you need to go to a roof rack, this is the way to go. I liked the "clean" roof line, so I opted out of roof rails. I hope to keep my solar as a portable add-on. I'd be more inclined to use the $2k as a down payment on a pop-top, if someone made a nice one for the 135.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like my alurack ladder rack. Only weighs about 60lbs and I've stood on mine without bending anything.
Hey I know this is from years ago but Im currenty debating if I should get this rack, its about 2k after tax in Canada right now and the overall height is a concern because I would like to still be able to park in the underground parking where I live. Could you tell me if the heightest point on the rack exceeds 83 inches. That would be greatly appreciated!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts