Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find a roof rack for my van that will eventually mount an LED bar, awning, solar panels, and a rear camera.
I was turned onto Aluminess based in San Diego but they aren't doing anything Metris related for the next foreseeable future. I've also hit up a few other companies in the greater LA area but as it stands our van is still too new to the market.

Anyone here have a roof rack that that fits the description and who did you get it from? Also not opposed to a custom fabrication as well. I've attached a photo of what this may possibly look like minus the ladder. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would love to find a good solution to mounting a front light bar to my car. Somewhere on the bumper or something, The roof rack looks cool also.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think that fog lights will be good on my upfit :) does the computer cares if you ad lights? Does anybody knows where to get the fog light and how to splice them into the lightwork?
thanks for any idea

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was able to install TRACRAC CAPRAC TRUCK RACKs on my van, I got 1 5/8” stainless steel unistrut and bolted to the mounting holes in the roof. You need to shim the strut up just a bit, but it fits the grove in the roof almost exact. Because the slip of the roof, I had to cut it in two parts. The strut would not bend enough to be one long rail. Than the mounting hardware for the racks worked great in the strut.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Andy Im in LA area too. Im interested in putting a low profile rack on my Metris. Ive been scouring craigslist this week, for custom fabricators. There are a quite a few. I will be contacting some to see what they can do and cost. My primary use for the rack will be to support two adults in a cot tent, mount a swing out awning, possibly a solar panel. Also some small utility lights.
My metris is my daily driver / moto / mtb / camper van. Its a great do it all vehicle...

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts
I just used 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/8 aluminum angle (L) screwed (S) sideways into the roof rack (R) with vertical slits (V) between the panels to align it to the top (making sure there was clearance in the middle of the roof). The cross pieces (C) then support the 3 panels. They are flush on the right side leaving room for the wiring connectors on the left. I have lots of pictures of the project and will write it up (soon?). Lots of power to keep the fans running in the 97F heat in Chicago at the dog show last weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rhino-rack makes a variety of racks and baskets for the metri. They also have awnings and other accessories. I bought some Ulti crosss bars from England, off of ebay. Very nice. I ordered the universal mount kit and awning fron rhino. Should arrive next week,,,,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Andy Im in LA area too. Im interested in putting a low profile rack on my Metris. Ive been scouring craigslist this week, for custom fabricators. There are a quite a few. I will be contacting some to see what they can do and cost. My primary use for the rack will be to support two adults in a cot tent, mount a swing out awning, possibly a solar panel. Also some small utility lights.
My metris is my daily driver / moto / mtb / camper van. Its a great do it all vehicle...
I need to look at the body builders guide again, but I am pretty sure that your list is substantially over the recommended roof strength limits if that matters.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
436 Posts
I need to look at the body builders guide again, but I am pretty sure that your list is substantially over the recommended roof strength limits if that matters.
The 165lb weight spec for the roof of the Metris is Dynamic load. Static load can be much higher. Put another way... you probably should not have more than 165lbs of gear on the rack driving down the road. When you are parked you can probably do 400-500lbs or maybe more on the roof.

Consider for a moment what you think would happen if you turned a Metris upside down. Would it just collapse? No.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 165lb weight spec for the roof of the Metris is Dynamic load. Static load can be much higher. Put another way... you probably should not have more than 165lbs of gear on the rack driving down the road. When you are parked you can probably do 400-500lbs or maybe more on the roof.

Consider for a moment what you think would happen if you turned a Metris upside down. Would it just collapse? No.
You might be right on that. I don't have any hands on Metris experience yet.

I know that it is a different vehicle, but in the case of Sprinters, which have an even higher roof weight rating, that sheet metal is pretty thin.

I don't know yet how the roof rails attach on a Metris. On a sprinter, there are a series of factory pre punched "reinforced" holes with plastic knock out bungs. Even though these holes are "reinforced", it is still pretty flimsy sheet metal.

When we put solar panels on a sprinter, we never physically go on top of the van and are very careful to put down some thin ply first so that nothing happens to it.

Even someone that weighs 50 lbs would deflect the sprinter roof sheet metal walking around in socks. Is the Metris roof a lot stronger than this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use a roof top tent with my passenger Metris. It is plenty sturdy and no flexing noticed with two people in the roof tent. As already stated, the static weight handling is probably quite high especially when evened out on the roof rails. I agree that if I stepped on the sheet metal in the middle of the roof, it would flex or indent.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use a roof top tent with my passenger Metris. It is plenty sturdy and no flexing noticed with two people in the roof tent. As already stated, the static weight handling is probably quite high especially when evened out on the roof rails. I agree that if I stepped on the sheet metal in the middle of the roof, it would flex or indent.
Are you set up so that you are always walking on roof rack, or walk carefully where the beams are?

I am not sure about a tent up there, but I could imagine watching a drive in movie.

Edit - never mind - found your thread on it. Pretty neat.

https://www.metrisforum.com/forum/409-metris-builds-conversions/7922-roof-top-tent.html#post92962

1 - 20 of 20 Posts