Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I came back to my stored Metris only to find she wouldn't start. Tried all the regular things, had her towed 4 hours to Mercedes dealership.
Ends up that some animal ate the wires because they make them out of soy based products rather than plastic. Great for the environment but no so good for the wallet. $800 FIX!
Dealer says to put Bounce sheets and green Irish Spring soap in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I cut up Irish Spring soap bars into chunks and put them under my porch in the spring to keep the deer from hiding out. Perhaps the strong smell would deter rodents as the dealer says, but it's hard to imagine it would last very long if you are storing the van. Moth balls? rat poison?

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's not just Mercedes products - I had a Honda Fit, Kia Rondo, and a Toyota Corolla all get wires and windshield washer lines ate through by rats. We've been spraying the garage with a mixture of peppermint oil, spearmint oil, cinnamon oil, and vinegar. Not sure if it is completely effective, but so far, so good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rodents love to eat on insulation and similar items. They will even eat tar paper.

Sometimes you can reduce the problem by adding protective coverings over the wires. Some go on like a spiral, some have a seam / split down the middle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts