Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the cooling fan comes on when the cabin is hot on our 2016 Metris passenger...which is very nice. But, when I stand outside the van while my wife starts the engine, the fan (I think/hope the fan) roars so loudly it's almost embarrassing. Sounds like it's running away, or will fly off at any moment. It stops soon after the van starts moving. Is this normal...or a trip to the service department?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Pretty loud for a van of this size. I try to tell myself repeatedly, "It's built by Mercedes, but it's not a Mercedes."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did anyone ever have this issue looked at? Just bought a used 2016 and it is so loud it is definitely not right. Compressor bearing maybe? AC clutch?

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's just the rad. cooling fan. They all do it. Mine only does it from June-August. On start up after you've been driving it...not cold. Keep in mind...engine temps can actually increase after you shut the engine off.

·
Registered
397 Posts
That fan can pull nearly 40 amps, its a monster. Its spooling up like that when the engine is hot to get that heat out of there and allows the A/C to be effective as quickly as possible. My GLK does it too.

Ever heard the mechanical engine fan on an older MB V8 when you accelerate briskly? Sounds like a wind turbine! :D

If you want fan noise, park a VW TDI (2010-2015) after turning it off during a regeneration, it runs both (yes two) fans at near 100% for several minutes to cool down the engine and exhaust to prevent stuff from melting down or catching fire.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I used to loathe this fan noise until tenant next door to us got a Maserati SUV and that one does the same thing...just as loud.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts