Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove from Oregon to North Carolina safely because we could cook and sleep in our minimalist Metris camper. E.g., while it has a stove, sink and cooler, we sleep on the floor on air mattresses. Pictured is our campsite in the Medicine Bow National Forest in Wyoming.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
6 Posts
Do you mind posting pics of the interior? I am a relatively new owner of a Metris cargo van and trying to figure out how much I need/can afford to build in and what is best done with a minimalist approach like yours (e.g. sleeping bags on the floor) and a cooler so I can haul "stuff" easily during the week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure. Here are two older pictures of the interior. We kept the open floor space just wide enough that we could haul 4x8 sheets of plywood laying flat. Also, we no longer travel with chairs. Rather we have plastic storage boxes that serve as chairs when we're eating but move them to the front seats to make room for sleeping.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just drove from Oregon to North Carolina safely because we could cook and sleep in our minimalist Metris camper. E.g., while it has a stove, sink and cooler, we sleep on the floor on air mattresses. Pictured is our campsite in the Medicine Bow National Forest in Wyoming.
Hi, great looking van. That's conversion is to my taste, the basics are simply yet elegantly done. The added driver's side window is an excellent addition. Camping without a big - no fun to drive - Motor home, trailer, camper, heavy Roadtrek, etc., very good. Any thought on a privacy tent and toilet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your kind words. Our goal was to build a camper that was akin to tent camping but with the ability to cook and wash dishes without being bothered by mosquitoes (we have a 2.5 gallon clean water storage jug under the stove and similar size gray water storage under the sink) and to be able to pack up in the rain without dealing with a wet tent and wet sleeping bags. We don't mind a little rearranging, such as sliding the cooler between the front seats to give us room to spread out the air mattresses. Toilet? My wife was adamant, and I agreed, that we were not going to be hauling smelly liquid and **** around with us. Privacy? About akin to tent camping as we have curtains with magnets on them which we can hang up easily when we want. I fully agree with your point about large heavy campers. A friend with an RV passed on some advice that she apparently learned the hard way: that we pull around gas pumps with caution as the rear end can swing around. I just smiled and thanked her. She parks her RV in a storage spot while we use our van as our everyday vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with your wife about hauling smelly liquid around, NG. For emergencies though, plastic toilet seats for 5 or 3.5 gallon buckets can be handy. A kitchen size garbage bag, an adult pamper or pee pad for absorbency, and quick disposal. Seems nasty to throw in trash, but with all the toddlers, and diaper wearing old folks around I think there is a lot of human waste in the landfill.
Enough of that, again a great build. I watch every kilogram and you are getting a lot of bang for the pound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A small toliet is good to have and should fit in a cabinet. It's cassette style so you can empty-bury after using.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts