Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a 4000 mile trip from Arroyo Grande, CA to Corpus Christi, TX and back. 2017 Cargo Van was loaded with three windsurf boards, four sails, booms and masts, coolers, luggage,etc. I built a simple platform out of 1.5” pvc and plywood for easy removal. Under the platform goes my sails, booms and masts. Boards on side walls with a sleeping area in the middle. Best gas mileage was 28.2 through Arizona and New Mexico. In Texas where the speed limit is 80, my mpg dropped to 26. Coming home through the hill country in Texas with lots of wind, my mpg went down to 24, still not bad for doing 80 mph driving a rolling brick. The winds were 30-40 mph and then I was hit with a gust from ****...dashboard lit up with crosswind assist and the van tracked straight...not sure how it works, but felt steadier. All in all, a great road trip with zero issues with the Metris. Lots of folks were checking out my Van at the windsurfing spot on Padre Island. They were amazed at the room inside and the gas mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice one.

Is it a comfy ride for long distances?

I'm planning a trip this summer that will be about 12k km (I think that's 8ish k miles) or more and about 5 weeks. Driving Toronto-Vancouver via Sault Ste Marie, Calgary, Osoyoos and via Kamloops, Edmonton, Saskatoon, North Bay on the way back.

Last time I did this trip was in a 2003 Subaru Outback which was fine, I guess, even at 12-14h driving days. Hoping I don't want to die from discomfort half way through the trip.

·
Registered
397 Posts
They are super comfortable. I don't even have the comfort seats in mine and it was perfectly fine all the way from GR Michigan to the upper reaches of lake superior and back last summer. (nearly 1,000 miles)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I found mine in the front seats super comfy for all kinds of long trips. I have the non-comfort passenger suspension (which has sterner springs and no anti-roll bar) and it can be a rather jarring ride in the back seat when going over Robert Moses roads in NYC territory- especially when you are rather drunk (and thus my seating location).

That being said I don’t think many are equipped that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They are super comfortable. I don't even have the comfort seats in mine and it was perfectly fine all the way from GR Michigan to the upper reaches of lake superior and back last summer. (nearly 1,000 miles)
Sounds legit.

I'm pretty stoked to give my Metris a workout and character build. Gonna hit up some logging roads along the way to see how far I can push it. (I'm pretty vexed we can't get the 4x4 offroad version here...at least not easily).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts