Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, you were disappointed you couldn't reverse your second-row seats, into a rearward-facing orientation?
Be disappointed no longer!

Abstract:
Reverse second-row bench seat orientation to rearward-facing through 24mm elongation of seat rail slot to facilitate complete mating and locking of seat latch to floor-mounted anchor-pin bracket

Materials:
--- 15/16" (23.8mm) Hole-Saw
--- Straight Medium Metal File
--- Masking Tape
--- Marker
--- Small length of plastic tubing
--- Vacuum Cleaner
--- Courage to modify your beautiful new toy

Procedure:
Measure 45mm from center of anchor-pin (fig.2). This should be marked on the rail on masking tape, centered on the slot (fig.3). This will be where your guide-drill will be placed. Drill the hole with 15/16" hole-saw. The material is aluminum, and very soft. DO NOT PRESS HARD. DO NOT DRILL TOO DEEP. Use the metal-file to cut a 45° chamfer, by tracing the arc of the newly-cut circle a few times, and smooth the cut. Attempt to make the hole look as close to possible as the rest of the slot. Ensure that the slot is at least as wide as the original slot, to not obstruct latch-engagement. Use the plastic tubing (bic pen) taped to the vacuum cleaner nozzle (fig.4) to vacuum any metal shavings and dust from the seat rail slot.

Repeat this process for the three remaining seat rail slots which the second-row bench seat attaches to. You may now reverse the seats. Optionally, you can do this process in the rear of the vehicle seat rails, to allow the second-row seat to be mounted rearward-facing in the third-row area. You may need to adjust the front seats forward to accommodate the second-row reversed.

Enjoy your newly-reversible seats. My Uber/Lyft ridesharers think this is the best ride in the area, it's like a limousine, and all five passengers can sit facing each other.

Attachments:
Figure 1 - Second-row bench seats in rearward-facing orientation
Figure 2 - Measuring 45mm from anchor-pin to center of drill-bit
Figure 3 - Taped and marked for drilling
Figure 4 - Vacuuming shavings. Note the two "large circles" now. Looks manufactured
Figure 5 - Horizontal shift of bench in rearward-facing

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not crash-tested this vehicle
NHTSA has not rated this vehicle, as modified

However, none of the anchor points were removed. All of the bolts and mounting brackets are in the same position, at factory torque. The only modification is superficial, to the aluminum plate which is blocking the seat latch from completely seating in the anchor.

Unleash the trial-lawyers: jailers of joy, murderers of mirth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am suggesting that the floor-anchor points have not been altered or removed, and thus hold the same load as before.

The "rails" they are offering in the US simply have the slots cut offset, to obstruct reversing the seat. The anchor inside the rail appears to be the same part as the European base-model anchor for the W447 LWB.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is it possible to add second row on a cargo van using rails, and seat bench from a passenger van ?
or the floor layout is different like no attachment points for the rails.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great news! Thank you, @ultimatebach, for posting all the details.

I looked at my own van and have a few questions:
Do you really need to modify all four slots? I tried putting my bench in backwards and the bench front clips worked in the van's rear position. The bench's rear clips (front relative to the van) need a longer slot.

What about just extending the slot instead of drilling the large diameter hole? It looks like the large hole is only there to access the floor bolt, so you could get away with a smaller bit and then use a Dremel to finish off the slot extension. (And, yes don't drill too deep! looks like some kind of plastic trim piece directly under the aluminum.)

Also just to note, the bench is offset from the tracks, so it sits ~2.5" inboard when flipped around.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The front-of-seat latches do indeed fit in the slots, but it is a tight-clearance. So I opted to do all four slots, for aesthetic matching and easier fitment.

I had considered using a 16mm bit, and extending the slot with a dremel/router, but did not relish the idea of traversing a router/dremel in a straight-line without a mill. The single, large hole was considerably easier to do without aid of machining tools and tables. It also gives it that 24mm 'aircraft-style' rail look, like the cargo vans have, which I liked.

You are, of course, free to attempt using a dremel and a smaller bit. Just make sure your cut is fairly straight, so the seat latch clearances the slot. The aluminum is super soft, a cutoff-wheel carbide would probably cut easily enough.

I had noticed the seat is slightly offset, due to where the bench legs are. I find it useful, it puts the seat farther towards center, which makes passenger entry from the driver's side door have more knee-room.

I might look under the rear floor, and see if the factory drills and taps the mounting holes for the fourth-rail; but that is in the future.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, I see making those parallel cuts not easy by hand. I'll try the slot method first once I find a 16 mm or 9/16" bit. Worst case, I'll have to use the hole saw anyway.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I extended the slots. I started off with a 9/16" drillbit, then a Dremel cutoff wheel followed by a burred barrel with a router guard attachment. A hole chamfering tool finished everything up nicely. I only extended the slots on the van's two front anchors, but the bench still fits backwards.

The only downside is I can't scoot the driver's seat as far back as I want it.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is the type of rails needed for no issue seats movement and re-positioning. There is many of this sets sold on e-bay. for about 400 Euro. But you need somebody to ship them to USA or Canada. I am trying to setup logistics channel between Germany and USA. once it is done i will share info with all of you.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get a bit mystified, when I read those British auctions on eBay. They refer to "Extra-Long Wheelbase". I don't know whether they are referring to the Short-Wheel Base, Long Configure (U.S. Metris, 3200/5140mm), or the Long-Wheel Base (Vito Traveliner, 3430/5238mm).

Also, if those rails aren't the same width, you will need to do some modification/upholstery on the floor of the vehicle. It's a good-bet the factory drills and taps the "fourth-rail" mount holes in the cargo-floor, and then plugs them with plastic screwplugs, but the holes might not be there.

I once had an account on the Mercedes parts/service system, because New York State has a law, requiring all dealerships for factory new vehicles have to give you (upon request) complete service specifications. So the dealer gave me a log-in for a year. It costs $75 a year after the first year. It was difficult determining which length rails are the ones intended for the Short-Wheel Base, Long Configure Vito/Viano. Navigating the parts system on that website was horrible, if you didn't have a VIN code to dump in to search the parts. I'm sure if you worked at Mercedes, you would understand the A### ### ## ## code structure and groupings, but I didn't spend long enough looking through.

Once you find the part-numbers, just go to a friendly dealership, and have them order the rails. "Spare Parts" get ordered in by dealers all that time, and you won't have to deal with customs/import laws.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
That would be pretty sweet to just order different rails from the dealer. Are the Euro-spec floor anchors different? I thought they can slide front/back in the tracks and the US bench feet don't seem like they would mechanically allow that without sliding the floor pins themselves.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I get a bit mystified, when I read those British auctions on eBay. They refer to "Extra-Long Wheelbase". I don't know whether they are referring to the Short-Wheel Base, Long Configure (U.S. Metris, 3200/5140mm), or the Long-Wheel Base (Vito Traveliner, 3430/5238mm).

Also, if those rails aren't the same width, you will need to do some modification/upholstery on the floor of the vehicle. It's a good-bet the factory drills and taps the "fourth-rail" mount holes in the cargo-floor, and then plugs them with plastic screwplugs, but the holes might not be there.

I once had an account on the Mercedes parts/service system, because New York State has a law, requiring all dealerships for factory new vehicles have to give you (upon request) complete service specifications. So the dealer gave me a log-in for a year. It costs $75 a year after the first year. It was difficult determining which length rails are the ones intended for the Short-Wheel Base, Long Configure Vito/Viano. Navigating the parts system on that website was horrible, if you didn't have a VIN code to dump in to search the parts. I'm sure if you worked at Mercedes, you would understand the A### ### ## ## code structure and groupings, but I didn't spend long enough looking through.

Once you find the part-numbers, just go to a friendly dealership, and have them order the rails. "Spare Parts" get ordered in by dealers all that time, and you won't have to deal with customs/import laws.
Unfortunately it is not that easy. I know all parts A # and the answer is " You can not order this parts in USA, because they do not belong to USA parts catalog. " I use my V250 European VIN # they say You can buy it in Europe and then you are on your own. Now the most closest V-Class market to us is Mexico. Totally unexplored. But at least I can drive my Metris over the border and get what i need there.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts