Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experiencing a delay of the camera when engaging reverse. I get a black screen with some text for just a second then the camera feed. It happens only when starting after sitting for hours. It's the camera slow to power up I think. Anyone else getting this? I've currently got a camera coming from Germany to hopefully fix this.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
Not this, but when I go from R to D, the camera still stays for a few seconds.
It's supposed to do that, useful for some things.

I experiencing a delay of the camera when engaging reverse. I get a black screen with some text for just a second then the camera feed. It happens only when starting after sitting for hours. It's the camera slow to power up I think. Anyone else getting this? I've currently got a camera coming from Germany to hopefully fix this.
I haven't had that. It's always worked right so far, my only problem electrical in nature so far is the MapPilot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
We experience some delay between gears, and when going into R from P. Haven't seen the text on screen though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
We have had this problem since day 1. The dealer will not address it, saying that the camera is aftermarket equipment and not factory installed. This is true, but we did purchase it as a factory option. It was installed by a local stereo shop. We went there - they were great. They ended up replacing everything over several visits, camera, controller, wiring harness, connectors, and they updated the software as well. I assume the dealership paid for all of this under warranty, as we were not charged. Nothing fixed the problem Its still there. Works OK about 80% of the time. The other 20% it takes several minutes to come to life. I assume its in the head end display unit in the van. Dealer won't help with it any further though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
We have had this problem since day 1. The dealer will not address it, saying that the camera is aftermarket equipment and not factory installed. This is true, but we did purchase it as a factory option. It was installed by a local stereo shop. We went there - they were great. They ended up replacing everything over several visits, camera, controller, wiring harness, connectors, and they updated the software as well. I assume the dealership paid for all of this under warranty, as we were not charged. Nothing fixed the problem Its still there. Works OK about 80% of the time. The other 20% it takes several minutes to come to life. I assume its in the head end display unit in the van. Dealer won't help with it any further though.
Any idea what exactly was installed for the aftermarket product? I'm guessing the delay is likely in the adapter or caused by the adapter. If you wanted to fiddle with it you might see if you can find the 12v trigger used for the reverse signal and trigger it manually. Or determine if the feed for the rear camera is constant or only triggered when in reverse. There are various ways that the triggers will tell the head unit to switch to the camera. There can also be a timing issue with the head unit wanting a feed from the camera based on a canbus trigger, but not having a feed off the camera at the time it wants it. A typical after market head unit has a 12v trigger for reverse. Many times people power the camera from a 12v trigger attached to the head unit. This can be the cause of timing issues. Not sure how the metris head unit handles truly non-oem cameras and adapters. Hardwiring the camera to 12v (so that it is on all the time) and then using the trigger to switch to the feed can eliminate delay that is not caused by the head unit, but by the camera.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Sorry, I never noticed your response until now. No idea what aftermarket brand was installed. The dealer just used a local auto stereo located nearby and they never passed any receipts directly to me. You're probably right on regarding the timing. After another 16 months, the problem remains. We also see a smaller delay when the MB factory radio powers up. We have since avoided the camera problem by turning on the ignition switch and waiting 10 - 15 seconds before starting the engine.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top