Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Metris Passenger- Love it. It will serve as my daily driver. Part time moving family around and part time using it for my business. I used to have a Eurovan which fit both these needs pretty well. The Metris passenger- will need some modifications so that i can use it for hauling equipment around for business while still maintaining the functionality of it being a passenger van.

So i will modify mine- a bit. Curious, if other owners have delved into the idea of using Metris for dual purpose.

john.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That is why I am looking at getting one. Work and play.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3 Posts
John,
I don't have a Metris yet but am in a similar position. Before my Eurovan died I used it for family and for hauling gear loaded on to rolling carts. With the rear seats out, the Eurovan provided several tie off locations that were at least a foot off the floor so I never had a problem strapping down the carts. The passenger Metris is less generous in that regard. To keep the carts from rubbing against the walls of the Eurovan I would use gardener's kneeling pads as bumpers wherever an edge of a cart would touch the wall. I would store the gardener's pads at the back of the van and place them where needed as I strapped things in.
I'm hesitant to use the floor rails as tie down points because I feel like you need points that are along the walls to be able to keep your load from shifting around and eventually coming loose. Maybe if you are just strapping down one cart parked in the center of the floor then those floor rails could work but otherwise they just seem like they are in the wrong position to be effective. Of course my carts average about 400lbs so if yours are only 60lbs that would make a big difference too. Because I will be hauling gear often enough to make it worth the hassle and unsightliness, my plan is to cut in to the interior walls in four places and finding hard points along the wall, where the metal ribs of the van are, that I can pass a nylon sling through and use that as a tie off. To pull this off I'm going to have to do some heavy reading about where all the airbags are hidden throughout the van so I'm not cutting in to them.
Of course this may be complete over engineering and your plan may be all I need. I'm curious to see what works for you. Please update the thread as you figure out what works and what doesn't and I will do the same.
Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been awhile since i posted here-- Sorry- i started the thread and then forgot about it. lame...

But not i have time to move ahead with my process of utilizing my passenger for moving equipment.

First step- 8020 T-slot framing. The idea is to build protective frame around delicate interior pieces..

just started today- picture so far...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I posted a similar question but maybe someone on this thread has an idea. I have a passenger metris and want more flexibility in configuring the seating/cargo in the rear. I would like to ditch the existing rear seat tracks with two fixed positions and get a set of sliding tracks that would allow me to use a single (more loungy) rear seat that could slide forward and back in the rear to accommodate different cargo configurations. I have heard the V class available in Europe have these tracks and seats and that they could replace the metris tracks as a bolt in with no cutting or welding. Anyone have any factual information on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Along the same lines has anyone removed the carpeting and the lower 1/2 or so of the side upholstery in a metris passenger van? I haven't seen any photos yet. I am trying to achieve a similar setup as my Transit Connect passenger van. I can throw the seats in and seat 5, or I can throw my race bike in or a few filthy muddy mountain bikes in the back. Either way there's no carpeting to worry about.

I need a 70/30 cargo/passenger van, and it seems that it really isn't safe to go with a cargo and try to convert it to passenger (no side air bags, wrong tracks in the floor etc).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Along the same lines has anyone removed the carpeting and the lower 1/2 or so of the side upholstery in a metris passenger van? I haven't seen any photos yet. I am trying to achieve a similar setup as my Transit Connect passenger van. I can throw the seats in and seat 5, or I can throw my race bike in or a few filthy muddy mountain bikes in the back. Either way there's no carpeting to worry about.

I need a 70/30 cargo/passenger van, and it seems that it really isn't safe to go with a cargo and try to convert it to passenger (no side air bags, wrong tracks in the floor etc).

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
435 Posts
Oh I only buy used vehicles.
Smart. Doesn't look hard to pull the carpet and cut panels. You may need to mind the hvac unit in the back. If you do not need to cut panels I'd just leave them.

The upfitter guide has some sections on the locations for tie down tracks. If it were me and I was gutting a passenger van for toy hauler I'd want to add the tracks on the sides below the windows.

https://www.upfitterportal.com/en-us/

It also shows the places on the floor where you should not drill etc. It's worth the read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Smart. Doesn't look hard to pull the carpet and cut panels. You may need to mind the hvac unit in the back. If you do not need to cut panels I'd just leave them.

The upfitter guide has some sections on the locations for tie down tracks. If it were me and I was gutting a passenger van for toy hauler I'd want to add the tracks on the sides below the windows.

https://www.upfitterportal.com/en-us/

It also shows the places on the floor where you should not drill etc. It's worth the read.
Thanks much Pounce, I'll check it out. I like the headliner which appears to start half way up the walls I'd like to leave that and remove everything below it. Probably do a spray in bedliner on the floor and lower portion of the walls. Or maybe just the lower portion of the walls and do a wood floor out of teak or something?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will be securing dunnage racks to my seat rails with turnbuckles. Not sure if that would work for you or but you might take a look since there are many styles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts