Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Metrites, long time no post, all's well living the van life, hope same for all of you.

My 2016 Metris just passed 15k, and the Hey Dummy Do Service B message appeared. I called the dealer and was quoted $425ish; an independent Merc shop said $325 for "oil and cabin air filter."

An oil change is sooo frackin' easy on this van, so did it myself (again, like Service A), changed the cabin air filter too, easy enough if a bit of a task for a contortionist, and the rear AC recirculation vent filter to boot. Fluid levels correct, lubes some hinges, good to go.

Or so I thought. Page 6 of the Metris service manual (the slim supplement included with the the operators manual), under the Additional Work heading reads exactly this:

"Once as part of the First Service B, subsequently every 75,000 miles (Z1) -- Automatic transmission: oil and filter change"

In unequivocal terms, the manual states you need to change your tranny fluid, filter and clean the magnet at around 15k miles. But the indy Merc shop didn't mentions this, and the is no way in **** that the dealer is dropping the transmission pan and doing oil and cabin filter for under $500 - tranny service alone is $500 as a posted "special" at the dealer. I'm sure that if I didn't read this requirement myself it would not have been done.

I'm curious if all of you on the forum who are past the first Service B had the transmission service done? Or if you don't know? And if it wasn't done are you cool with that?

Thank you - I'm definitely gonna take it for tranny oil change unless I hear on good authority that avoiding it is just fine, as in "Additional Work" means optional service that doesn't effect warranty or likelihood the car last a long time without major problems.

·
Registered
939 Posts
First trans service is listed at 30k. You just happened to hit A and B before the 15k mark.

Edit: Just do it at 30k and your warranty will be fine. It'll be fine anyway, but still, 30k.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank man! Makes perfect sense given the Metris' 15k service intervals - mine came up before I hit the standard mileages because I don't drive so much ....

When it is time for the transmission oil change, is there a good reason to bring it in to the dealer as opposed to home garage? I'm fastidiously careful and have done my share of wrenching over 40 years, so won't screw it up, but maybe you guys have tools and techniques for transmission service that are beyond me ....

again many thanks!

Hank

·
Registered
271 Posts
Another important lesson to carefully read your owner's manual.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
My dealer told me about this; it was a seperate bill line item to the Service B (which was about $500 too); I believe they charged me $395 for the tranny. I would do it by 30k, now might not be a bad time.

Also drive your car more. It really isn’t good for your car to only drive 7500 miles a year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you have to drop the pan? Can this me done through the hood with an extractor? Also, did they update W447 722.9 with the newer fluid?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hmm, seems like the trick to filling it to proper level is the stand-pipe. It won't let you under fill or over fill.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quoted $1500 plus tax for first B service

I was trying to track down exactly when the A service was done on my Metris and failed. At 2350 miles and almost two years old, I suspect the B service is coming up. So, I called my trusty MB dealer and asked about when I should do my B service. I was quoted $1500. I asked about what comes with that and told filter changes etc. There was no mention of transmission fluid change. I then asked what I should be on the look out for and then heard something about my Diesel engine. They were told everything about my Metris, including that it is a Metris and not a Sprinter. I informed them that it was a gas engine, still $1500. It's too bad. I don't feel that I can trust them. I really wanted to use the dealer, their hold music was AC/DC!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question for RobbMeeX

When you preform the 30,000 mile service at the dealership do you drain the torque converter or does Mercedes recommend draining the torque converter?

Also should I be using the ATF 134 FE blue fluid for 2016 and 2017 metris's?

Thank you very much for all your help on the forum!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, At 29,200 miles, service B, I had the cabin air filter, engine oil and filter, tire rotation, transmission oil and filter changed. Total cost was $1,029. An outrageous some of money, but I intend to keep the vehicle for many years, so I want to stick to the service requirements. $650 of this was for the transmission service. So your quote for $425 sounds like a deal. Anyone else pay $650 for this part of the B service requirement?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Question for RobbMeeX

When you preform the 30,000 mile service at the dealership do you drain the torque converter or does Mercedes recommend draining the torque converter?

Also should I be using the ATF 134 FE blue fluid for 2016 and 2017 metris's?

Thank you very much for all your help on the forum!
All yes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I spoke with a dealer in NYC and they quoted me $899 for the Service B with no transmission service. He says it is not necessary at this time. I also spoke with a local German car mechanic shop and they quoted $380 for the same Service B with no transmission service. They said not until 45k for trans service. What are your thoughts on this? I am not sure what to do because the manual states trans service with the first Service B.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wouldn't change the trans fluid ahead of the 40k or 45m miles. No reason to..no combustion, moisture. Won't hurt anything, just would not do it. I changed mine at 45k miles and it was hard to tell the new fluid from the old.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had it done at 28k miles by the dealer. I do the normal services myself. $525 for the trans service. As far as I’m concerned, cheap insurance

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had it done at 28k miles by the dealer. I do the normal services myself. $525 for the trans service. As far as I’m concerned, cheap insurance
Agree. Used to be a transmission (manual or auto) fluid service along with a diff fluid service was called for early. Like at 15K to 30K miles. Even though cars I have owned since 2001 have not called for this I still like to have it done.

And if I get a Metris I'll have it done.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rockstar I wouldn't change trans oil that soon. It's not going to hurt anything but it is not going to help anything either. I've had people tell me I was going to destroy my BMW engine in my 530 for changing oil every 15,000 miles. Well I'm at 380,000 miles and it runs perfect. Listen to the engineers. They know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rockstar I wouldn't change trans oil that soon. It's not going to hurt anything but it is not going to help anything either. I've had people tell me I was going to destroy my BMW engine in my 530 for changing oil every 15,000 miles. Well I'm at 380,000 miles and it runs perfect. Listen to the engineers. They know.
Read too many reports of automatics -- in various brands of vehicles -- going bad as the miles approach 100K.

While an automatic transmission fluid doesn't have to deal with contamination like engine oil there is the initial shedding of metal debris as the transmission goes through break in.

Yes there is a filter but does it catch everything? No I'm sure it does not. The assumption is what it doesn't catch is too fine to be a problem. But I have seen automatics disassembled and the valve body apart and the during the reassembly process the tech emphasized cleanliness. The valves were very close sliding fits and there was no tolerance for any particulate matter.

The only way to remove the ATF and its load of material is to drain the fluid and replace it along with the filter.

Yes, I know at least with automatics with a torque converter considerable ATF remains but a good portion of the original fluid is drained and replaced with fresh fluid.

Given how I generally intend to drive a vehicle a long long time and cover a considerable number of miles I am willing to spend some money up front so to speak with early and I'm pretty sure in the factory's opinion "unnecessary" fluid services with the idea I buy the in this case automatic transmission a longer and trouble free service life.

If someone is in the habit of trading in a car/vehicle after 30K or so miles then an early service doesn't make sense.

I managed 317K miles from my 2002 Boxster with no engine problems. The factory called for 15K mile oil services and 30K mile filter services. At first I was on board with this. But on a whim when I found a nearby truck stop oil change facility had an oil analysis machine I had the initial oil analyzed. The oil had around 4K miles. I bought the car in Jan 2002 and the oil analysis was done sometime after March of that year. The analysis found the oil had 7% water. Given the engine's oil capacity was just over 9 quarts of oil this water represented around 1/2 quart of water.

And no the water was not a coolant leak. Just plain old water condensing from out of the combustion gases.

I changed the oil and filter ASAP and vowed to change both every 5K miles. And did. Prompted by the amount of water in the oil I started monitoring the engine coolant temperature via an OBD2 code reader/data reader. What I found was the engine ran quite cool even when driven at freeway speeds for nearly 70 miles. Only around town did the coolant temperature climb and thus too the oil temperature also climb.

Now with this car and others I have before setting out on a long road trip changed the oil. Then upon returning home and shortly afterwards the odometer coming up with 5K miles since the oil change upon changing the oil the oil still has some amber color to it and the oil stream is translucent. From this it is clear the oil could probably go another 5K miles provided my usage consisted of driving this 10K miles at highway speeds. But that is not my usage. Before I retired my usage primarly was a 30 mile work commute 5 days a week. Mostly highway miles but some surface street time included. Thus 60 miles a day with maybe 15 of those miles in town. Based upon various signs at 5K miles of this usage the oil was ready to be changed. (My Hellcat's oil life monitor with me giving the Hellcat the same usage pretty much agrees with this 5K mile oil change interval.)

Pretty much I'm willing to go by what the factory calls for regarding servicing. However, in some cases I reserve the right to be a bit more conservative and do or have done some services early. With my Metris -- assuming I can reach a suitable deal for one -- I intend to have the transmission and diff fluid services done early. And as is my habit with my cars to have the engine oil service done early as well. With my last 3 cars, all bought new, I have had the oil changed at 500 miles, then at 2K miles, then again at 5K miles and 5K miles thereafter. The exception is the Hellcat. The factory calls for an oil change every (at least) 6K miles -- I follow a 5K mile oil change schedule -- or every 6 months. Two times now I have not put even 5K miles on the car in 6 months -- more like just 3K miles -- and have the oil changed at the 6 month anniversary of the previous oil change.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts