Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there replaced the front wheel bearings on a Metris? Is the bearing replaceable or do I have to replace a whole wheel hub assembly? Any part #or links would help.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If its like other current modern MB's (or most vehicles these days) it will be fairly involved/require some special tools to make sure its exactly correct.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Has anyone out there replaced the front wheel bearings on a Metris? Is the bearing replaceable or do I have to replace a whole wheel hub assembly? Any part #or links would help.
The only part I see on the diagram is the complete upright ("knuckle") which includes the hub and bearing. P/Ns 447-330-06-20 and 447-330-07-20 (right).

SKF USA doesn't have a Metris in their vehicle selector, but SKF UK does have the W447 RWD Vito. They show a bearing kit for that application called the VKBA 6676. The face of the hub (inner race) extends beyond the outer race, so you would need the right tool for your press in order to install the bearing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So heres an update:

The part I needed was 447-330-07-20. Gottlieb nailed it a couple posts up. As you can see in the pics, its a bearing, hub and steering assembly. Mercedes calls in a steering knuckle. I was able to source the part online for $648 (this included 2-day shipping). Gottleib also noted that the bearing/hub can be replaced in the old knuckle but this would require a big press. Replacement wasnt too difficult. The ball joints separated fairly easily so no special tools were required there. It took me about 1.5 hrs

If anyone has a similar problem and has the ability to press a new bearing. I can sell you my used knuckle. DM me.

My van has about 60k miles at this point and was disappointed to see a bearing go so soon but s*** happens. I dont recall hitting anything before the problem started but I clearly remember the moment the problem became audible. I was doing about 65 on the highway when a minivan cut me off. I had to slam the brakes pretty hard and the high pitched squealing started.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for posting this. Did this affect alignment?
It definitely affected the aligment. To what extent? Not sure but definitely for the worse. I'm trying to squeeze the last bit of mileage out of the factory tires. I'll do an alignment when I replace them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also wanted to note that It was about 2.5 weeks from the time the squealing/grinding started to when I made the repair. I few times during that period I did old bearing check where you grab the tire at 12 and 6 and rock back and forth. Absolutely no play in the bearing. Even now there is no slop in the old bearing but you can hear the crunching in there when you just spin the hub with your hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also wanted to note that It was about 2.5 weeks from the time the squealing/grinding started to when I made the repair. I few times during that period I did old bearing check where you grab the tire at 12 and 6 and rock back and forth. Absolutely no play in the bearing. Even now there is no slop in the old bearing but you can hear the crunching in there when you just spin the hub with your hand.
Thanks for all the info. I have heard the high pitch sound of a wheel bearing but I have no crunching sounds as you described. I only hear the sound at certain speeds around 65mph. If I turn to the left it goes away...hmm. Still thinking it may be a wind noise..okay I am hoping it will be...

·
Registered
8 Posts
So heres an update:

The part I needed was 447-330-07-20. Gottlieb nailed it a couple posts up. As you can see in the pics, its a bearing, hub and steering assembly. Mercedes calls in a steering knuckle. I was able to source the part online for $648 (this included 2-day shipping). Gottleib also noted that the bearing/hub can be replaced in the old knuckle but this would require a big press. Replacement wasnt too difficult. The ball joints separated fairly easily so no special tools were required there. It took me about 1.5 hrs

If anyone has a similar problem and has the ability to press a new bearing. I can sell you my used knuckle. DM me.

My van has about 60k miles at this point and was disappointed to see a bearing go so soon but s*** happens. I dont recall hitting anything before the problem started but I clearly remember the moment the problem became audible. I was doing about 65 on the highway when a minivan cut me off. I had to slam the brakes pretty hard and the high pitched squealing started.
Hello. Thank you for the high-quality information. I'm hoping that you can help me further. I'm on a road trip and I need to perform the same repair. Since I'm not home, I'll have to buy the tools in order to perform the repair. Do you remember the wrenches and socket sizes from when you did the repair?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts