Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Replacing a battery on a 2017 Metris... in 2021!

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  LoWi Metris 
#1 ·
Good day!
I've been following as much as I could on these threads, but winter is coming, and I wanted a recommendation before it lands.
I am financing a used 2017 Metris Passenger edition, and there were some minor issues. One that has now become major is that the battery needs a jumpstart if I leave the hazard lights for longer than five (5) minutes with the car off. I have taken this to mean that it may be time to replace the battery. Went to the dealership where this vehicle was worked on prior to me acquiring it, and in addition to getting a Service A done on the vehicle, they asked for $800 USD to replace the battery.

Questions:
1 - Am I right in that assumption? Bear in mind, this passenger van has no auxiliary battery. I removed the compartment cover, and it appears there is no corrosion.
2 - I read somewhere about Varta batteries. If this is the proper battery, is it available in the US? If nay, is there a better brand to use?
3 - I've replaced batteries in my 2007 Camry. Is it safe to avoid the $800 fee by replacing this one myself?

Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks so much!!

See less See more
#2 ·
You can find many brands of the AGM replacement. If you are under warranty still you might consider the oem battery. Off brands can be had for about $100.

Sort of surprised there is an issue with the battery. I'd put a good charger on it. One that has an AGM recovery option. Noco, Victron, Optima...

#3 · (Edited)
Huh!!???

That's about the worst highway, er, stealership rip-off I've heard about. Here's what I bought for my house battery initially (before I swapped in a LiFePO4 a couple of months ago). Original fit. Click on it to go to Autozone site. Amazingly, the price hasn't changed in 2 years. The factory battery in my rig is 92 Ah. Autozone has a configurator if you want to check your model year. It's the same.

Battery installation requires minor mechanical skills and some knowledge of DC electrics. We had one guy on the forum who apparently confused positive and negative and fried some heavy cable. Can't advise you on self-install. I've been doing it since I was 15 or so. It is not difficult.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

Attachments

#6 ·
How are things going with the lithium battery? Did you put it under the driver seat in place of a factory auxiliary battery? I'm curious to hear because I've been told (when referring to a 2020 passenger model) that you cannot just drop in a lithium battery in place of the old AGM due to issues with the smart alternator and recharging of the starter battery.

#13 ·
Everyone!
Huge thanks to all who posted. Not only do I have to research AGM high-end batteries, but this LiFePO4 thing I'm reading about...
In any case, after two winter storms, and holding out as long as I possibly could, the battery would not turn the car over. The lights and electrical equipment came on, but couldn't get the car to start.
Went to the Auto Zone, and at @focus805's advice, purchased the DuraLast AGM Platinum replacement. The one thing I will say about these batteries is, they do not "slide" out as easy as indicated on the video I found. I had to get a couple of flat head screwdrivers and use them to wedge out this bad boy:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle registration plate Road surface Bumper

I'm very relieved that there was no corrosion at the terminals, and that this was not an $800 job.
For anyone new or curious, all you really need is a 10MM socket, some patience, and gloves.
Thanks again to all for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.