Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the scissor jack that came with my Metris to swap my winter and summer tires. Yesterday, (after a total of about 10 up and down cycles) the female threads on the jack completely stripped out. I think this means I should probably buy a proper floor jack in the future, but in the meantime I have been looking for a replacement scissor jack for emergency use. I refuse to buy another OEM jack, so I'm looking at aftermarket options with better quality and a lower price. There are plenty of options out there, but none of them seem to have the round cup shaped top found on the OEM jack. All of the aftermarket ones seem to either have a slot to hold a pinch weld or a flat top (presumably to mate up with some other flat surface) which seems like it might be too narrow to work with the built in jack pads on the Metris. So my questions are:
1. Is there an aftermarket jack with the same cup-shaped top as the OEM jack?
2. If I have to go with one of the other options, which would be the best?

·
Registered
172 Posts
The trolley jack from Harbor Freight is junk. I had two start leaking before returning them. This one from Walmart is a few dollars more (around $30) but I’ve been using for five years to rotate winter and summer tires on four different vehicles with no problems. I did have to weld a small pad to the cup that is attached.
EB2AD9F3-828E-4CB7-948C-1B2B2F1B9C45.jpeg

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the very timely post! I have exactly the same problem. My jack lasted about the same number of uses as yours. Its a piece of $hit compared to Toyota scissor jacks, a couple of which I've used 12 to 15 years to do the twice a year tire change over.

I bought an Arcan floor jack for routine change overs. Costco carries them so if that's an option in your area they're worth looking at. I'd suggest avoiding the really low priced models- you get what you pay for.

I'll need another one of these crappy jacks for my van since I have a very tight space designed specifically for this jack in my modified camper van. But I've had problems finding a source for one on the internet.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I use a heavy duty one from harbor freight I got about 9 years ago and it has lasted usage several times a year no problem, but its huge and heavy, not one you'd want to bring along on the road.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Mines heavy and sizable too.

you need to carry one to prevent flat tires from happening. Flat tires, by the laws of Fate, only occur on dark rainy nights beside busy roads with no shoulder, when you don’t have good tools for changing a tire.

Carry a good jack, a two foot flexible breaker bar with appropriate socket, a headlamp, a hi-viz jacket or vest, and a few warning triangles and you’ll never have a flat.

·
Registered
353 Posts
25 year old Costco Arcan. Weighs a ton, makes me feel safe. It doesn't get to ride in Phantom 135 though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts