Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a toasted rear shock on my 2016 van. Somehow it gave up in the middle of a long trip. No hard impacts or off roading...just seemed to lose pressure and hand me a very mushy suspension. It made for some excitement on ride home. Felt like some of the spent cars I drove as a broke teenager. Van has about 75,000 miles on it so I can't really complain but I will as my 2001 VW T4 still has original shocks after 165,000 miles.

Anyway...looking for replacements I am finding nothing other than MB shocks from dealer or online dealers.

Has anyone found any shocks from some of the good quality aftermarket makers?

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Currently Bilstein offer these B4's for front only:
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/product-search-detail/?ItemId=5067412906306900140&YearId=8310054769234976108&MakeId=3765648866548801283&ModelId=6982628976549841311&SubModelId=78192055976998175

The German and EU website show rear part numbers for the W447 chassis. Hopefully they will make these available in North America soon.

To my knowledge... OE part is only current choice. You may check for updates on the other Euro shock manufacturers: Boge, Koni or Sachs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One more thought.

Many, many years ago when I was in the JDM Honda world we would use this method:
1. Gather as many forum users as possible.
2. Mass email said company about interest in their product.
3. Encouarge them to make a small production run for desired chassis.
4. Have forum users provide real world feedback to manufacture.
5. Review product and possibly promote to forum members.

At times this method can work. It may just take a small number on owners to show a company there is interest and need for a certain part.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, just to make this is a somewhat complete discussion for the archives...

Bought the replacement shocks from a local dealer that has an online shop. Part # for the passenger van "with comfort suspension" was A447-326-33-00. Same part for right and left. I searched online and their price, $168.50 was about as good as I could find and since they are local, they had them shipped to dealer at no cost to me. Another close by dealer with no online shop quoted me $230 per shock!

Once I got them I was a bit surprised to find a MONROE sticker on them. I searched for all numbers on the chock to see if that MONROE shock was available from a non-MB source. I found nothing, but maybe someone else can.

Installation was easy. Two bolts. Took longer to jack up van and take off wheel. On first side I undid wheel well liner to get to top shock so I could access with air gun, then realized my impact gun was too long anyway and used a breaker bar. On second side I left fender liner in place and loosened top nut from back side before lifting vehicle off ground.

I would rather have spent money on a bit stiffer Bilstein or other quality shock, but nothing other than OEM out there at this point it seems.

Van ride like normal again.

...and don't do drugs...that's it.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hope you didn't get a bad Czech

·
Registered
29 Posts
Found this for reference:
Monroe EU Catalog
V Klasse and Vito(W447)
Part# V5008 rear damper

Only rears currently available. I'm assuming these are the same or very close to stock units.

aebad: Thanks for the follow/up. Good info.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are two kinds of rear shock, the passenger and the cargo. I am thinking of getting the cargo shock to counter the excessive travel when taking a long sweeping turn with a dip and the suspension is provoked to undulating movement by expansion strips.

Here is a potential source of shocks I found but have not bought from recently (but have extensively for our Eurovan)

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
What you probably want is the pax comfort suspension with the anti roll bar. The cargo suspension and regular pax suspension are really stern.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interestingly, when I went to see what price was now for OEM passenger shock, it says "discontinued" and only cargo shocks are available. This is a MB dealer. I guess it is good that Bilsteing now has a shock available!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a potential source of shocks I found but have not bought from recently (but have extensively for our Eurovan)

Anyone have luck with Europarts recently? I've tried calling and emailing - no response. I need rear shocks for my 2016 Metris Cargo. I'd buy the Bilsteins if available but they're backordered (according to Bilstein) for at least a month. Any other options?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts