Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insect Finger Audio equipment Arthropod Automotive lighting

Water Hood Automotive lighting Street light Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Window

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heh. I got the black ones and the white ones on my recent Ali purchase.
Hah! They were like 6 bucks and 3 or 4 shipping, couldn't resist -- But I do like the animation (LED lights rear to front along the line) as an attention getter during lane changes. I think I'm going to keep them. Also, when I studied my van's exterior, those clear/white side markers were the ONLY white element on the van (besides the headlamps).

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
I liked the black, but my van my need a little less black. I got the side mirror caps with turn signals and got both black and white lights for those as well so I could try both looks thinking I would coordinate.

So you blink toward the front. It was something I pondered. My side mirrors blink to the rear. The headlights that animate blink to the rear, but I don't have them. I think if you just have these small lights animating and they do it toward the front it's more noticeable.

For 10 bucks they are fun to try and easy to change. They might add to safety.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was mistaken -- they do blink to the rear. How did you wire the mirror caps?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
I was mistaken -- they do blink to the rear. How did you wire the mirror caps?
Have not installed them yet. I actually got a bonus. The mirror lights have 3 functions. Orange Blink, white running lights and blue animated lock sequence. All three need to be wired so I need to make the time to figure that out.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have not installed them yet. I actually got a bonus. The mirror lights have 3 functions. Orange Blink, white running lights and blue animated lock sequence. All three need to be wired so I need to make the time to figure that out.
BTW off topic, I received the Ali OEM-look dash cam. It works very well, but same story -- no instructions, so it took some figgering. I found that it worked best when both accessory + and always-on + were connected. Email to Ali vendor for cam software recommendation as nothing I tried worked, or worked with Android 12 anyway. They recommended Miocam, and that did the trick. I'll try to photo document the install.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
BTW off topic, I received the Ali OEM-look dash cam. It works very well, but same story -- no instructions, so it took some figgering. I found that it worked best when both accessory + and always-on + were connected. Email to Ali vendor for cam software recommendation as nothing I tried worked, or worked with Android 12 anyway. They recommended Miocam, and that did the trick. I'll try to photo document the install.
Did yours slave power off the sensor or did you have to run the power? I saw this version that saved the whole power wiring step.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did yours slave power off the sensor or did you have to run the power? I saw this version that saved the whole power wiring step.

Nope, I'm routing wire down to the EK1. :cry: Unfortunately I didn't find that model before I ordered, though I did see a similar 4k model a week or so ago. The vendor I looked at discontinued the listing, but it had an upgraded Novatek processor. Not sure if your link is the same vendor I originally saw, but I am sure these doodads are made in the same factory. I haven't actually opened the sensor cover to see what connectors I have, so I must admit I would have been a little worried about having or not having wiper hardware. The Ali listing says:

Because this driving record belongs to a special style, he is suitable for cars with wipers, please see whether it is suitable to install your model, if you are not sure, please consult our customer service staff, we will reply your information from a professional perspective (Please add yours when consulting: how much is the model and year + the bracket photo of the original car installation site) Thank you for your cooperation Thank you!

Comes down as usual to time vs money. I'll blow two hours of labor to save $70 bucks and not have 4k. The only advantage I can see is that I'll have the option of always-on power. Oh well!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Always on is important if you want to use the parking mode!
My thinking precisely! I've had my share of hit and run parking dings. So far only one on Metris. Of course, it would have to be a frontal impact unless I somehow tie in the Rydeen side cams I have yet to install. . . .

Mainly I want protection against accident scammers and brake checkers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts