Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I got an Ebay bootleg repair manual. Very cool software package, runs on Win7 Ultimate in an Oracle virtual box, which in turn puts you on the virtual Win7 desktop where Internet Exploder runs the actual program. I suspect all my personal data is now in the Balkans.

Anyhow, I thought it would be fun to start a repair manual thread with references to common or unusual procedures (like pulling the 270 rear door magnets)

Here's my first surprise: The sliding door or doors are NOT supposed to be lubricated, not no how never -- "neither the sliding carriages nor the rollers should be lubricated." The reason is that lube will accumulate dirt which will wear the mech prematurely.

Someone please post another repair manual surprise!

Reactions: CyberHippy

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yep they have nylon rollers vs lube + steel rollers like is common on minivans in the past.....I know that was how it worked on dodge caravans.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I still want to know what the little red button under the steering column is for...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Focus, thanks. Now I got to go clean the grease off my sliding door tracks. Lol. I agree on a maintenance section. I need to buy that manual. At some I assume I'll have to do the dreaded crankcase vent system replacement.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Focus, thanks. Now I got to go clean the grease off my sliding door tracks. Lol. I agree on a maintenance section. I need to buy that manual. At some I assume I'll have to do the dreaded crankcase vent system replacement.
But leave it on the Rear Barn Doors, if you have 'em.

Attachments

Reactions: Lane on the fence

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Front Headliner Removal Mystery Package -- Attached. I offer the attached to speed you with the fumbling I went through. BTW, I found it IMPOSSIBLE to remove the "handle on roof" (grab handles above doors) without leaving minor tool marks on the plastic inserts that wedge the metal clips into a locked position. They're not visible normally, but it pushes my OCD buttons and they're $8 a pop online. Be careful!! The manual calls for using a screwdriver to wedge them out. I used plastic and still marked them.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very cool, @focus805! What was the name of the manual you purchased? Are all the files local or online?
I need to figure out how to "safely" remove the slider and barn door panels (pax) and also the rear interior panels so I can stuff with insulation (thermal and noise control). Also thinking of upgrading front struts to Bilstein B6 and need to know procedures/torques of fasteners.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it on Ebay but frankly I am not sure whether it is truly bootleg or not, so I'd rather not be in the position of recommending something that might be a rip-off.

I can say this -- the software package is very well-thought out and assembled to make a system run in a virtual box in a virtual box. It's definitely pinging what it thinks is the internet while running. When the VM is off, I've updated successfully the virtual box software, which is an Oracle product. It also wants to push Java updates, but I have not let that happen. The set up is somewhat delicate, so this is not for less than advanced power users. I got help by messaging the seller. One guy.

I'll post your relevant sections in a couple of hours -- curious myself -- I noticed the body shop that did a ding repair cracked my pass slider panel, and I need to take it off for Noico too!

Reactions: redlightning

·
Registered
52 Posts
My wife has been using the van for our local farmer's market and managed to mangle the right-rear tail-light. Bulbs are all fine but the plastic cover is wrecked. I found the part to replace the whole thing, any advice on the process from that manual?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've attached the relevant page from the WIS/ASRA manual.

The orientation of the hidden ball-and-socket connectors that secure the lamp housing is not made obvious by Mercedes' instructions.

The ball heads stick out horizontally, perpendicular to the travel direction of the van. They are captured by two sockets molded into the lamp housing.

To remove the lamp housing, you need to give it a firm pull sideways. This post shows one of the ball heads:

I recommend sliding a credit card into the gap between the body and the tail lamp to keep lamp housing from digging into your paint as you wobble it around.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need to figure out how to "safely" remove the slider and barn door panels (pax) and also the rear interior panels so I can stuff with insulation (thermal and noise control).
See attached. I included the liftgate print too.

Attachments

Reactions: redlightning
1 - 14 of 14 Posts