Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Since moving these seats is hard for me and my back, suggestions for the least amount of effort to remove the rear seat in a 2016 7 passenger would be appreciated. I don’t see it coming out the rear of the van, hoping I am I have the single upward opening door. If I remove both seats going out the side door after 1st removing the 2 passager middle seat it would seam to be the choice but I would like to keep the middle seat in.

Thank you

·
Registered
205 Posts
My wife and I removed the rear seat through the back liftgate opening. At the time I was 69 yo (with a bad back) and my wife was 66 yo, and we're both short. It wasn't easy, but we got it done without injury to ourselves or damage to the seat or the van. If I had to do it again, I'd remove the second row seats and take it out through the side door.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've removed mine through the back also....not fun. Next time I am doing it from the middle door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm handicapped and have installed a chair lift in the back after removing the back seat.
What a difficult tansition?
Anyway, after installing the rear chair lift, I now find that the smaller second row seat is going to need removal.
There's no other place to stow purchased articles
Kids have all moved away. So there's never a need for seating.
It's just the Mrs. and I left now.
Besides, we've got her car to get us around where my chair isn't needed.

Now, I've got get that horrid sound system replaced with a more suitable touch screen with CarPlay and
perhaps even a sub.
I figure a nice Alpine or Pioneer unit would look and sound nice.
I'm no audiophile but something of an upgrade is in order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have to remove the seats a few times a year. There is no easy way to get these extremely heavy, awkward seats out. Our experience tells us that removing through the rear door is the very last resort (no room between the rear seat and the wheel wells and side walls to maneuver easily). We always remove the second row (double and single seats) first through the side doors. Even the double seat is a bear because of its weight. Then we release the back seat and lift a bit at a time toward the front until it can be lifted out a side door. You also have to be extremely careful with the exposed, sharp metal seat latches. Trying to slide the seat tore holes in the rubber matting we have on the floor. It's our only complaint about our otherwise great Metris. If only they would design the rear seatbacks to fold (like our old Astro), it might make removal a lot easier.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We have taken the rear seat out a number of different ways but have settled on taking it out the back, under the lift gate. You just need a good helper and know how to angle it.

First, take off all three head rests. Then get the thing unlatched from the floor. Then lift it up to the ceiling (removed head rests allows you to lift it high enough) and turn it so the seat is facing the side of the van. You can rotate the seat 90 degrees and clear all the side paneling if it is lifted up enough. All of the lifting and rotating was done with one person on the front and one on the back of the seat. Set it down and switch to the lifting from the sides and lift the seat out the back which is not too bad once it has been turned lengthwise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Dealer did when it was in for service for me. Still haven’t taken out of the back, need help for that too...step son :)

I would buy a base for the seats so I could sit instead of store for a reasonable price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts