Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching the site, but did not have luck finding an answer. What is the best/easiest way to remove the plastic push pins that are holding the lower panels. I have new ones to use for the reinstall or can the original ones be re used? Thanks for any info you can pass along.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
731 Posts
They're like a plug with a pushpin in the center.

I removed all of mine to do some sound deadening, using a thin blade flat screwdriver.

The head of the center pushpin is not round, but like a rectangle. I inserted the thin flat blade on the short side of the rectangle. A little push towards the outside then pops the pin towards you and you can remove the center with your fingers. Maybe a plastic spreader to get under the main plug, but I did without. Maybe a bit bigger screwdriver to get under it a bit.

I had no trouble, just was careful ... no special tools needed. I did it before I had plastic panel tools and a plug puller.

The plugs are 100% re-usable.

I just put each of mine in a container as I pulled them, so they wouldn't go astray.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I tried searching the site, but did not have luck finding an answer. What is the best/easiest way to remove the plastic push pins that are holding the lower panels. I have new ones to use for the reinstall or can the original ones be re used? Thanks for any info you can pass along.
Plastic push-pin rivets are used all over the car. They are usually reusable, but sometimes they're not. It's good to have spares.

My all-time favorite tool for removing push-pin rivets and Christmas tree fasteners is the SK 6646.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Ice Rabbit and Gottlieb. Worked just like you said and I was able to reuse 90% of the ones I removed. I was actually installing the two headliner panels along with the upper panels in my cargo van. I had already installed the lower panels. First I added .50" dynamat on the surfaces for insulation and noise. Waiting on the two upper rear panels as they had shipped the wrong ones which were about 10" short in length? The dealership thinks they have the right ones ordered now. Thanks again. 46,000 miles with zero issues on the van so far other than the initial crappy tires and alignment issues. Had the dealership do an alignment and installed Defenders at 22,000 miles and they still look brand new.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
731 Posts
Note that the upper panels are installed with different plastic clips, mainly smaller ones, in case your van came with lower plastic panels only. The upper ones are round with a pin in the middle, but the pin doesn't remove from the base clip. There are boxes of clips of various sizes around online ... should you need a measurement, I can pull one or two and take some pictures and measurements.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ice. I got the upper panel behind the driver's seat on today. On my van, 2017 cargo, it takes metal clips that push onto the metal frame of the cut out where windows would be and there are specific spots around the metal frame for the clips. A tiny metal cylinder projects out from the metal clip and the holes on the panel push onto the cylinder. Next a metal screw goes from out side the panel and into the middle of the circle. Works good after I figured out how the metal clips attach!

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
731 Posts
That is correct.

I forgot about the metal clips on the frame! I should have looked at the pictures in my own thread, where I had the pins and panels removed. 🤗

1 - 7 of 7 Posts