Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adding Rattletrap as a sound deadening material to inside of our passenger van. I have removed both rear panels and the tail gate panel with no problems. The sliding door is free from the bottom up but is still connected along its top edge right below the window. Can't seem to get it to release at all. One advisor states I have to disconnect the latch assembly before I can remove the panel. I have the cable disconnected but can't seem to disconnect the lock knob. To me it appears that the latch assembly shouldn't have to be removed and there must be a 'key' or 'release' mechanism some where. Any experience or advice on taking off the interior panel of sliding door?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just did these on my 2016 pass. Top of the panel is attached by steel clips that takes alot of efgort to remove. Once bottoms are detached give it a strong yank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did these on my 2016 pass. Top of the panel is attached by steel clips that takes alot of efgort to remove. Once bottoms are detached give it a strong yank.
That was the clue,. Took me another 5 minutes to get that one off, 3 minutes for the other door from start to finish. Nothing broken looks great. Thanks for the help. The clips across the bottom of window were the toughest. Three of them came off with the panel. But were easy to reinstall on door.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great! Im sort of doing the same but u have already done more from the looks of it. I can tell u just doing 4 doors and rear hatch alone made a huge difference. When i have more time ill tackle the trunk sides and roof. When i tap the roof sheet metal. Above front seats seems to have NO sound deadner at all. Sounds like a tin can. Then the sound changes but still not as good as the doors i worked on. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't done the front door's yet but plan to after I finish the back. Do the front door panels come off straightforward? I have a pop top on top from Peace Vans in Seattle so it's quieter from the roof. I'll let you know how well it works. My decibel meter was at 79 decibels, plan to drive the same stretch of road when I'm finished. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So the front door panels was held on more secure.
Bottom 3 or 4 plastic fasteners where u have to remove the inner pin then fastener pulls out. Has a philips head.
Then u have to pry off a strip of plastic molding, behind it there were 3 or 4 torxs screws. They were 2 sizes there.
Then under the door pull lever theres a small cap, pry that out and another smaller torx in it.
Finally rest are all pop in so u pull the panel working little by little. I will go take a pic of one plastic piece u have to pry off. Didnt see any diy how to so that threw me off a little.
Now that panel is off but attached via wires. Lower the window till u see bottom of the window fasteners thru a hole. Another torx and loosen.
I then taped the window all the way up.
Finally remove wires and can get rid of panel... little bit more work due to window motor but all in all wasnt bad.
Ohhh u have to drill out all the rivets they are 1/4in big ones. 12 or so per panel... to reattach i had to buy a rivet tool cause the one i had did not have 1/4 size. Will post pics. Hope it goes smoother for u. I found a 100x1/4 rivets at menards for 10$

·
Registered
34 Posts
1st panel took forever with all that, but 2nd one 10min to remove all, and yes alot to cover. I wish i did thinsulate, just didnt think about that. Dont let my experience stop u. Going into this kowing a bit more lets u be prepared and u shouldnt have any issue!

·
Registered
862 Posts
That was the clue,. Took me another 5 minutes to get that one off, 3 minutes for the other door from start to finish. Nothing broken looks great. Thanks for the help. The clips across the bottom of window were the toughest. Three of them came off with the panel. But were easy to reinstall on door.
View attachment 17565
Looks like you put rattletrap over the factory sound deadener -- why?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like you put rattletrap over the factory sound deadener -- why?
I can only speak for my own reason but when I bought it a month ago and started driving, I thought metris passenger is pretty loud on highway driving. Ive done these sound deadner on other cars so decided to do this mod. I did read other peoples comments where it said passenger vans already have it installed. Upon tearing all the panels off, I can agree factory does add a strip of sound deadner here and there but very minimal. I noticed huge reduction in noise level after adding sound deadner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Some updates, i got the ceiling liner off and installed cld tiles, above driver seat, factory had 0 sound deadner. From there back each panel indent had one strip installed from factory. I suspected this because tapping the roof was very tinny above driver seat but was better in the back.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts