Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Removal of Grille star....

10K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  mikit 
#1 ·
I have Metris passenger. Love it. But i need to remove the MB Star emblem on the front grille. On Other MB vehicles, the whole assembly just unscrews out. I tried to do that on my Metris but put about as much force on as i thought was safe. It did not budge. Anybody else do this.

Back emblem-- I think i have a handle on that. There are plenty of youtube video that show a process using dental floss and and hairdryer..

I have to remove the emblem. Even though the Metris was one of the most cost effective work vehicles i have ever purchased- my clients have already made comments about me driving a flashy car....

Thanks.

john.

#4 ·
I'd carry on and be proud of it. They could be just chirping you.

#5 ·
What line of work are you in?

#6 ·
When I started using my van for handyman work last November I was concerned about client opinion. I used the 3M matte black vinyl to cover the chrome (see http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/34562-post28.html). It seems the only people who notice are the ones who can appreciate the three-pointed star. A couple of folks did comment but I pointed out that it cost less than a Chevy Silverado with capacity to carry a sheet of plywood and that the contractors pay twice as much for their big rigs.

#9 ·
Yes - i love my lit star.

but if you want to remove yours, it may end up pulling more attention to the big circular hole in your grille.

I would suggest going the plasti-dip blackout approach to the star to make it more low key.

If you do want to remove the star, I would remove the grille as it's easier to deal with that way. More room to work and the grille is very easy to remove - just pry under the center portion of the plugs that hold the grille in and then remove the entire plug. you'll see where they all are as you work your way around. a simple flathead screwdriver will do the trick. just go slow and be gentle - it comes out pretty easy. then you'll be able to see how the star pops out. I just can't remember right now how it works but it's nothing fancy.

#10 ·
I suppose there are some very unsophisticated persons in every industry. But, anyone who has been to any western EU county knows that every other plumber, electrician, handyman or delivery person drives a Vito. I think there are more Vitos in Europe than any other full sized van. But, for people who have never been out of Podunk or similar, the MB Star is remarkable.

#11 ·
I'm sorry, but I'm in the media production side of business also and while some may feel the MB is a 'luxury brand', many more feel it is just a sign of quality German engineering today with MB having cars like the CLA in the low $30's. Sure I get the occasional joke and a tease from my office lease manager, industry friends, etc. But not one client has specifically mentioned my work van as any part of their decision making.

I just shoot 2-days for a WI-based client in West Virginia and shipped their supplied hdd with all the raw footage. They directed me to ship it FedEx only. Guess what vehicle brand will be making the final leg of delivery. Provide a great product or service and what you drive will be irrelevant.

Reactions: flacaproductions
#12 ·
One would think that driving a nice car is an indication you are a successful businessman. That you must treat your customers well, and provide a good product at a competitive price. After all, how else could we afford a nice car?

But it's not true. Most customers seem to take umbrage to the very fact that you dare make money on them. I have operated several businesses, and while customers rarely saw my car, I would get snide comments on my wristwatch several times a day. Never mind that I happened to buy it 15 years ago for half what it's worth now; ~$700 for a plain but well working Rolex got the better of the bargain hunter in me.

I don't let it bother me- the customers who think that way are not worth the trouble, because all they want to do is ensure the lowest price possible. I call them birdie customers, because everything with them is cheap, cheap, cheap. I don't do cheap, I do value. You want cheap? It's easy to find, sometimes at a low price.

#15 ·
Quote from Flacaproductions "If you do want to remove the star, I would remove the grille as it's easier to deal with that way. More room to work and the grille is very easy to remove - just pry under the center portion of the plugs that hold the grille in and then remove the entire plug. you'll see where they all are as you work your way around. a simple flathead screwdriver will do the trick. just go slow and be gentle - it comes out pretty easy. then you'll be able to see how the star pops out. I just can't remember right now how it works but it's nothing fancy"

Thanks!

Sounds simple- unfasten pins in the picture attached? No other hidden clips or bolts.. The whole assembly feels pretty fragile so i am going to go slow.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.