Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been all over the forum and people are talking about trying to get reclining seats (no good solutions that I've seen???) but I haven't seen much discussion about front seats. Lots of convos about the passenger's seats in the back. I'm looking for driver and front passenger seats. They have airbags built into them if I understand correctly. Do we have a solution for this anywhere?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Do you mean your front seats don't recline? I think all front seats reclined in 2018 (see below "Stepless adjustment of the backrest angle"), and I am sure the "comfort" seats which I have do. Not entirely flat, but the passenger goes back far enough to make an impromptu bed when swiveled and extended fully to the rear and leaned back across the dashboard. The lumbar adjustment is powered, everything else adjusts manually. I got the heated seats too, and I am glad I did for cold starts. The 2019's began offering electrically-adjustable, payload-sucking, probably breakage-prone comfort seats, but fortunately I ordered in January 2018 long before the 2019 DOG came out to tempt me.

Here's the info from the 2018 DOG:

C01 DRIVER COMFORT PACKAGE $570
FZ9
TWO ADDITIONAL MASTER KEYS X X
SB1 COMFORT SEAT, DRIVER X X
SB2 COMFORT SEAT, PASSENGER X X
SE4 LUMBAR SUPPORT, PASSENGER SEAT X X
SE5 LUMBAR SUPPORT, DRIVER SEAT X X

Ed. Note: BASE SEATS BELOW SO2/SO4

METRIS 447 S02/S04
ADJUSTABLE FRONT SEATS
DETAILS & TECHNOLOGY

The driver’s and passenger’s seats can be adjusted manually to suit their respective requirements. The seats
have an ergonomic structure and are upholstered with an attractive, hard-wearing fabric. A tilt-adjustable
armrest is fitted to the inboard side of the backrests. The seats can be adjusted in the following ways:
. Fore and aft adjustment (almost 9 inches in total at 0.4-inch intervals)
. Stepless adjustment of the backrest angle
. Head restraint can be adjusted for height

Ed. Note: COMFORT SEATS BELOW SB1/SB2

METRIS 447 SB1/SB2
COMFORT SEATS, DRIVER AND PASSENGER
DETAILS & TECHNOLOGY

The comfort seats offer the following additional characteristics, which allow a more precise adjustment of the
seats to suit individual requirements:
. Seat cushion height adjustment
. Lumbar support adjustment
. Adjustable cushion angle
. Comfort head restraint (4-way)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. Which lever reclines them? I’ve pulled ever handle and turned the knob on the side and nothing is making them recline. Up down - yes. Tilt the base - yes. I have power lumbar so I must have the comfort seats. But no recline handle that I’ve seen. What does this magic! :)

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
It’s not a handle, it’s a knob. Common to European cars, actually. Total PiTA to get from fully upright to fully reclined but it is doable.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Please GML, it is a German vehicle of Spanish origin. The adjuster is a "schnob-ben" in my version of Danny Kaye German. And you're right, it does cause carpal tunnel syndrome to raise and lower the seat backs.

Incidentally, I mean no disrespect to the German language, or Germans, other than the implicit bias I can't wash from my soul as the child of a veteran who landed on D+2. Mocking language or accent or nationality or ethnicity can be a way of devaluing someone, and I don't want to do that. So I find myself apologizing in advance for some word play.

VW used a knob to adjust the armrest angle on my Eurovan, if my memory serves me. I think the Metris' ratcheting lock for the armrest is less elegant, but it's good enough to do the job so long as you like the angles it offers.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The advantage of the knob is that it offers much finer and more precise adjustment of the angle of the seat. Lever types operate by clamping teeth down into holes in a track and have a finite number of positions with coarser adjustment. The disadvantage of the knob/advantage of the lever is it is much faster if you like turning your seat into a quick bed in rest stops or the like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts