Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
That’s a Ford Econoline, which is BOF and a whole different kettle of fish.

The Sprinter is a bit more interesting, but those Sienna seats are uncomfortable for an Adult American. I wonder if seats out of a scrapped Amfleet would work?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a Ford Econoline, which is BOF and a whole different kettle of fish.

The Sprinter is a bit more interesting, but those Sienna seats are uncomfortable for an Adult American. I wonder if seats out of a scrapped Amfleet would work?

Most of the posts I have read say they are very comfortable. Not sure if its just you that says they are not. Yes, the examples are not a Metris, but based on some measurements they should fit. I was mostly looking for single captains chair options knowing I would need to customize mounting. I have tried the Explorer seats at the dealer and they are comfortable, but I'm interested in some flexibility to mount them on the tracks. Explorer is a pedestal type seat. They are removable.

I haven't seen an Amfleet seat. I'll take a look.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The Sprinter, I am fairly certain, has a strong enough load floor to handle bolting a seat to it without reinforcement, and nobody who drives an Econoline gives a hoot about safety; I know, I owned one. The Metris does not. The seat rails bolt to a reinforcing plate that distributes the weight transfer load. You need to remove the fuel tank, among other things, to install new seat fittings.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Sprinter, I am fairly certain, has a strong enough load floor to handle bolting a seat to it without reinforcement, and nobody who drives an Econoline gives a hoot about safety; I know, I owned one. The Metris does not. The seat rails bolt to a reinforcing plate that distributes the weight transfer load. You need to remove the fuel tank, among other things, to install new seat fittings.
If the seats are comfortable I don't see any technical hurdles in mounting them in some creative ways. You could build a bracket that mated the seats to the stock passenger Metris rails. I'm not sure there is a need to use the Toyota rails.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I have spent too much time in wrecking yards looking at too much blood from too many home made van conversions made by too many people who do not understand just how awesome the accelerative force exerted on seats occupied by passengers is in a 40 mile per hour crash in a 5500 lb vehicle.

Having done so, I will continue to insist that cheap seating upgrades are too expensive.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have spent too much time in wrecking yards looking at too much blood from too many home made van conversions made by too many people who do not understand just how awesome the accelerative force exerted on seats occupied by passengers is in a 40 mile per hour crash in a 5500 lb vehicle.

Having done so, I will continue to insist that cheap seating upgrades are too expensive.
Not everyone is stupid. Can we please put the assumption that this cannot be done correctly behind us so we can really discuss recliner seat options?

Show me a recliner seat option for the Metris if you have one. Otherwise please feel free to contribute in a productive way. I don't think anyone has said anything about a "cheap seating upgrade". Just you. I make no qualifications other than "recliner". Don't insult us by assuming we are stupid and would accept something or build something that isn't safe.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Well, you can simply get the reclining seats that are available for the Vito.

I don't assume everyone is stupid; I assume most people do not have a comprehensive understanding of physics, or why simply bolting a seat into a car in a manner that seems secure when the car is static, or moving in a normal manner, is not automatically a safe solution during the extreme forces that occur in a collision. I also operate on a fairly basic assumption, based upon seeing a great deal of wrecked machinery in wrecking yards, that Asian-designed vehicles usually are to safety code (passing tests), not safety standards (performing under a wide range of things, not all of which can be tested for in a sane world). There are a lot of cultural reasons for that, most recently demonstrated rather graphically by the Takata airbag scandal.

When I say cheap seating upgrade, Toyota's reclining seat mechanism is the very definition of cheap. In fact, according to some data I picked up somewhere when Toyota first released that thing, its only rated to 250 lbs, which means it could not accommodate my weight by a rather large margin. Beyond that, I would also say that reclining to the point of a household recliner in a car, with your feet up, is basically unsafe.

If you want a very comfortable bucket seat for the rear of your car, getting to the meat of the argument, and you feel you can fabricate the kinds of things needed to integrate your metal work with existing floor brackets, I would suggest using a pair of front seats from a Volvo 240, coupled with a center console construction, because the standard Metris seat track is three legs only, so you'd have a hard time supporting two separate seating pods.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, you can simply get the reclining seats that are available for the Vito.
Got a part number and a supplier that ships to the US?

I don't assume everyone is stupid; I assume most people do not have a comprehensive understanding of physics, or why simply bolting a seat into a car in a manner that seems secure when the car is static, or moving in a normal manner, is not automatically a safe solution during the extreme forces that occur in a collision.
I'm not sure its wise to assume most people don't understand the need for seats to be mounted correctly especially when discussing it in a forum for builds and conversions.

When I say cheap seating upgrade, Toyota's reclining seat mechanism is the very definition of cheap. In fact, according to some data I picked up somewhere when Toyota first released that thing, its only rated to 250 lbs, which means it could not accommodate my weight by a rather large margin. Beyond that, I would also say that reclining to the point of a household recliner in a car, with your feet up, is basically unsafe.
Its a language thing. Cheap is usually used when referring to cost.

Lets not blame the seat for not meeting your limit. My family is way under the limit and we are "Amercians". If you know of any safety recalls etc on the recliners from Toyota let me know.

I would not disagree that riding in a full recline is probably unsafe without a submarine belt. But they would sure be comfortable when camping or hanging out. That's the purpose really. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

If you want a very comfortable bucket seat for the rear of your car, getting to the meat of the argument, and you feel you can fabricate the kinds of things needed to integrate your metal work with existing floor brackets, I would suggest using a pair of front seats from a Volvo 240, coupled with a center console construction, because the standard Metris seat track is three legs only, so you'd have a hard time supporting two separate seating pods.
I'm getting the 4 rail option regardless of custom seats. That permits at least some options for single seat mounting. I've posted in the other threads for reversing the seats that the 4 rail option is available for passenger vans and upfitters.

Do Volvo 240 seats have built in seat belts? We need the belts in the seats for the rear of this van. That's what makes these Toyota seats attractive.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I have not actually seen any evidence that the four rail is available for non upfitters.

I would rather assume that incompetence, and make mention of it in the forum, deterring you if you don’t know how, then assume competence and feel responsible for something happening because you thought you were more competent than you are.

I used to be in the safety equipment business (like a lot of entrepreneurial Jews, I have literally lost count of the number of ventures I’ve been in) and I learned a lot about how much too many people both disregard safety, and overestimate their competence. It is certainly not personal to you.

I remember more than a few arguments with customers who thought something was cut resistant when it wasn’t, was suitable for a task when it wasn’t, would help them one bit when it wouldn’t.

Especially masks. A dust mask is a dust mask- it filters particles. I would refuse to sell any mask to someone who needed, say, an organic vapor mask and I didn’t have one in stock. It is a lot better to work with organic vapors maskless (and therefore worried about breathing at all) than thinking that the dust particle filter you are wearing does diddly squat.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not actually seen any evidence that the four rail is available for non upfitters.
Its in the Dealer Ordering Guide for 2018. See the attached. You can call the dealer and ask if you can order it on a new van if you like.

I would rather assume that incompetence, and make mention of it in the forum, deterring you if you don’t know how, then assume competence and feel responsible for something happening because you thought you were more competent than you are.
If you prefer to seem like a negative insulting person so that you feel you have done the right thing to make you feel good then so be it. In case you didn't know you are not responsible for others actions on the internet whether you typed something or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I am an arrogant asswipe. I can’t help it. I’ve been this way a long time, I wish it wasn’t so. And I apologize that I offend you.

I am not responsible for anyone’s actions but my own, on the internet or otherwise. But I also must answer to myself for what I feel I should do.

I don’t need to make myself feel superior, in fact, I would be better off having a great deal more humility. But I do feel the need to ensure a guy I enjoy arguing with doesn’t do something that might hurt him or his family.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could stand to soften your approach. Lets not stifle creativity. My skin is thick, but the purpose of the forum is to have a community where people share. It's counter to the interest of growing the community to be anti social or to alienate people.

My career is risk mitigation. I grew up in wrecking yards and have created dozens of road worthy vehicles from complete totals. I work in the auto sector.

Can we get back to sharing ideas for recliner seats for the Metris? Does anyone know of any high quality captains chairs with build in belts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
The seats that are in a Toyota Sienna are quite comfortable and seem to hold up well. A good friend had one and three destructive children. Both he and the van have survived. I think with the right anchor system, it would be a good fit in the Metris.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pretty sure this is why there is an “ignore” option

Pounce makes a good point. Let’s keep it productive and positive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts