1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not applicable to 2018's or the 477, just the 447

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had my 2016 in for first “A” service last week and had this recall performed. No weeping of either fuel line and both were replaced...after waiting 3 days for parts.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
336 Posts
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/downloads/monthlyReports/rcl/RCLMTY-112018-1234.pdf
Daimler Vans USA, LLC (DVUSA) is recalling certain 2016-2017 Mercedes-Benz Metris vehicles. The fuel hose in the engine compartment may leak at the lower connecting point of the transition hose, between the underbody fuel line and the Schrader valve and/or where the fuel line connects to the fuel pump. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source can increase the risk of a fire. DVUSA will notify owners, and dealers will replace the affected hose and clamp, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 25, 2019. Owners may contact DVUSA customer service at 1-877-762-8267.

·
Registered
943 Posts
From our Sprinter foreman: "Even if it was already replaced, they are recalling all of them"
I'll do mine when slow.

·
Registered
209 Posts
FYI
I received Recall Notice today. READ yours Carefully, because it states the repair will NOT be done unless a leak is detected. It may not have had enough miles accumulated Etc. for the leak to start according to others posts on here that it was not noticeable until quite a few thousand miles. We do not have even 5K miles yet and warranty expires December 2019, so we are going to hang on to the letter for the future need if arises. I have had Recall work done on vehicles prior we owned since new that were over 10 years old, at No Charge

·
Registered
583 Posts
Got mine today. No more having to fight with SA over this issue that I have every winter...clearly can smell gas odor but only on first of day cold starts. Best piece of mail in the box today!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got my notice. I know this is a safety recall but just wondering how urgent it is. I only have about 5000 miles on my van and have not noticed any gasoline smell.

Are the fuel hoses easy enough to look at to see if there is any obvious weeping? If there are no symptoms, can I put off the recall work for a while, maybe even wait until I am in for a regular service?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Are the fuel hoses easy enough to look at to see if there is any obvious weeping?
This is a good question. I was told that it takes 3-4 hours to do this repair. I dropped my van off at about 1pm and it wasn't ready until the next day. Given this much work, I suspect that wherever this issue is happening is not easily accessible. Robb would be the one who would know for sure.

Until this recall they (MB etc) didn't seem too concerned about the urgency. The photo that someone else posted on the forum showing a burned Mattress makes me wonder. Of course, we have no information about what caused that other poster's two Metris fires. They may have been completely unrelated. I've not heard of any other fires.

Sorry if I'm adding to the noise. I'm trying to contribute good signal...

·
Registered
358 Posts
I got my notice. I know this is a safety recall but just wondering how urgent it is. I only have about 5000 miles on my van and have not noticed any gasoline smell.

Are the fuel hoses easy enough to look at to see if there is any obvious weeping? If there are no symptoms, can I put off the recall work for a while, maybe even wait until I am in for a regular service?
In my case, it's more like vapors. i have 42,000 miles on it and it happens about once a month since new. I received my notice and the dealer has ordered replacement parts. I told them I want to talk with the tech or SA to give them all the details i have on the symptoms. I've never smelled it with the engine running, it's always static, and normally around opening the door, which causes the fuel pump to pulse which is normal, but should not leak.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Anyone here with gas smell problem had been fixed in the past and got this recall fixed again? If so, was it at the same dealer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took mine in the day after the recall mail notice. It took 3 hours. I filled up on the way home and it took almost 300 miles of driving the next week for the little fuel meter to start showing that I was using any gas at all. BTW, I also had them look at outer wear on front tires and they said that was normal and moved the front to the back and the back to the front and realigned. Outer wear is never their fault, of course. I love this van but MB is really in a class of their own when it comes to product accountability. They do not know this product at the dealers in the 4th largest city in America. They don't know how to put on a trailer hitch, they don't recognize outer tire wear as their alignment problem, and oddly, my service manager calls it a Sprinter every time I go in there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If they didn't consider it an alignment issue, why did they do an alignment? Is the issue with the gas gauge new?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Seattle MB did mine last week. The fuel leak was only noticeable when temps were below freezing. Which happens a lot when you ski in the winters. They tried fixing it about 3 months ago by switching out a valve. Still leaked. I was glad to see the official recal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2016 metris passenger and had a fuel leak in the first really cold snap of 2017 , My mechanic said it was more common. In Subarus, The dealership replaced the connection, but the fuel smell had permeated the under liner so they replaced that too. It took 8 days to get the under liner, from Europe I imagine. No problems since then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Has anyone had their fuel lines checked but not replaced because they were not leaking?

That seems to be what the Recall Notice is saying they will do: “check the two possibly affected connections of the fuel line on all potentially affected vehicles and replace them, if necessary.”

If they found no leak, would the Recall be marked as Complete? If marked Complete, would a leak that developed later still be covered by the Recall or not since it was already marked as Complete even if no parts were changed?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Has anyone had their fuel lines checked but not replaced because they were not leaking?

That seems to be what the Recall Notice is saying they will do: “check the two possibly affected connections of the fuel line on all potentially affected vehicles and replace them, if necessary.”

If they found no leak, would the Recall be marked as Complete? If marked Complete, would a leak that developed later still be covered by the Recall or not since it was already marked as Complete even if no parts were changed?

I had asked the (my?) service manager about their rate of replacement and the answer was that they just replace all of them. Although it was also followed up with a statement about the steering rack recall not having parts cause making bolts takes a while, so ymmv.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts