Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rearview camera in my Metris froze while I was backing into a parking spot today. Almost hit a pole before noticing that the picture on the screen was not current. Luckily the parking sensor was working and saved me a trip to the body shop. Unreliable rearview camera can be a serious issue as I can think of this happening in much worse situations. Anyone has similar issue before?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The camera is working normally again after sitting in garage for the afternoon. Would rather the symptom stays so that I can get it diagnosed and fixed. Now I have to keep wondering whether it will happen again in the future.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tell them it's happened multiple times. If I had to giess, that's a head unit issue as the camera just send a signal to the head unit. But I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The rearview camera in my Metris froze while I was backing into a parking spot today. Almost hit a pole before noticing that the picture on the screen was not current. Luckily the parking sensor was working and saved me a trip to the body shop. Unreliable rearview camera can be a serious issue as I can think of this happening in much worse situations. Anyone has similar issue before?
GNF:

I'm not sure when you first posted this, but can you tell me, have you had your backup camera freeze again since this first incident?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Create the same situation so that the dealer should be able to diagnose . Take photos or shoot video when it happens which will help the dealer.

Ignore if just a one off,unless its recurring

·
Registered
191 Posts
This has nothing to do with MB- the Camera is a problem. This is about literacy- and you picked the wrong word.
The camera malfunction can create the illusion of a clear path behind when the path is not clear. It can reassure the driver that it's okay to engage reverse when in fact it isn't. This quality of disguising danger is precisely what it means for something to be "insidious."

If you disagree, or you don't understand, or you're still "not sure why it would be dangerous," why not actually explain yourself instead of questioning my literacy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Insidious danger is danger that appears slowly and benignly until the moment it becomes an issue. This problem appears out of the blue.
The essential quality of an insidious danger is that it lies unseen or unrecognized, waiting to entrap. Just as this problem does over the term of a single maneuver ("he didn't notice the screen had frozen until he'd already hit the child"), or if you like, over the term of ownership ("the frozen screen is a potential hazard hidden in all these vans").

It's normal to tolerate some latitude in other people's use of language. But in this case I don't even need any. You seem blinkered by a very narrow reading of my remarks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts