Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Same here.

I'm suspecting the pump was sized for only one nozzle (the single-wiper tailgate). We need smaller nozzles or a larger pump. I have no idea if either are possible to swap out though.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
You might try a different fluid. It’s irrelevant to the pressure, but the MB fluid is garbage and you won’t get far with it. The crap you can find in your local convienence store is a huge improvement.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might try a different fluid. It’s irrelevant to the pressure, but the MB fluid is garbage and you won’t get far with it. The crap you can find in your local convienence store is a huge improvement.
I haven’t had the mb fluid in the reservoir for a long time now. It’s still the same pressure coming out.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Didn’t say it would vary it, but the main thing isn’t pressure, it’s a visible rear window. Doesn’t really matter if the pressure is weak if the window is clean. If the window is not clean and decent washer fluid doesn’t change that, then the pressure is a problem. And thus my much quoted mantra: take it to the dealer!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just left dealer, I had no Fluid coming out of the front or rear wipers. The fix for the front they said was a clog due to using non-Mercedes fluid. The rear they showed me the line behind the panel in the rear door, the wiper fluid line from the pump, the connector had come apart, it looked like I could just hook it back together but they said no I need a whole new motor assembly for $700. I’ve got 40k miles, out of warranty on a part that’s hidden from use/wear. What a joke. I opted to not replace as the fluid coming out of there always was a dribble. The connector doesn’t even look broke.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The fix for the front they said was a clog due to using non-Mercedes fluid.
Just wow. The things dealers say. I suppose a clog is possible if "non-Mercedes fluid" meant someone put in muddy water, but it's hard to believe any off-the shelf window cleaner fluid would cause clogs. But, maybe I'm just skeptical

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I have heard of, but not experienced, clogs in Mercedes wash/wipe and high pressure cleaning systems for headlamps, caused by orange low-temperature/de-icing fluid. I have not heard of it affecting windshield washer systems.

That being said, it is possible that a thicker fluid might cause a problem with such a system. But I have run the orange stuff during winters in my Metris and have not had an issue so far.

sadragna, I know you are in NYC but you might try Contemporary Motor Cars in Little Silver NJ. They are not particularly expensive as MB dealers go, and in the 18 years I have serviced my cars there, they have never given me a bullshit excuse, nor tried to sell me on a repair that wasn’t needed. In fact they have regularly told me on my older cars to “leave it broken” when it wasn’t an essential system.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone have ANY clue how to get the rear panel off the door??? Since they told me I have to replace the entire wiper unit, from this small fitting coming undone (Still so pissed about it) I need to at least fix myself (the fitting, it looks so easy to fix) but to get to it, I need to take the panel off-which is set by a dozen or so of those neat little clips-I got those off, but the DOOR HANDLE is holding it on, I can not figure out how to undoe the HANDLE?? Any one?

·
Registered
38 Posts

got it off! That handle face plate was held in with clips, I yanked hard and they came disconnected. So got the motor out, the fluid fitting doesn’t even look “broken” no cracks, anything and the way it is all concealed, never been touched, how the **** did this break?? And how the **** is this little basic motor $700!?! Maybe hot glue the fitting back in?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, totally insane you can't replace the fitting by itself. Anyway, I hot glued it back in, ran the fluid and its fine-still a weak little stream as it was when it was new.
I also looked up the part number online of that wiper motor, made by Valeo, and I could not find that model.
Anyway, 60 cents in hot glue fixed what the dealer wanted to charge me 700 bucks for.

It is hand made in a magical factory in the schwarzwald by magical German monks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts