Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do people like the liftgate, as opposed to panel doors on Cargo model? Most of the people I see on social media from Europe, with a Vito for hauling dirt bikes or farrier work like I would use it, have the liftgate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't have my van yet, but in looking I really liked the lift gate, especially for the unobstructed view out the back. But then I got to bring a test van home, and found that the gate opens up higher than the opening to a standard garage (which is typically 83 to 84"). My wife also found that gate to be so heavy that she found closing it difficult. So that means we're stuck with the dual barn doors. What I would really like is the same dutch door as on my Astro Van - easily the best of all options.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Keep in mind that you can only get the lift gate WITH a window. If you want total security, barn doors with no windows is the way to go. I have the 270 degree doors and sometimes wish I had gotten the 180's as you can't have the doors all the way around and still open the sliders. There are situations where being able to have the sliders open and the rear doors situated so I could move straight to the curb would be preferred. But - that said - sometimes being able to fold them all the way back works well - but the option is something to consider if going with the barn doors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Metris cargo is a work-in-progress camper van, and I think that having the lift gate on it is great. It works well as a rain shield, water does not drip off the open gate into the space between the gate and the van. Perfect camping spot is backed up to some scenery with the gate open sleeping behind a bug screen with a view. It's nice to sit on the back bumper in some shade, too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We have the barn doors on our passenger van. I really miss our lift gate on our Eurovan. Quicker to access, keeps the NW rain, drizzle and snow out while accessing gear in the back or putting on ski boots.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If the lift gate is electric powered, you can adjust the maximum opening very easily, and closing is no issue. Not sure if this is an option.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll offer a contrarian view. I seriously considered a lift-gate for all the reasons others have mentioned. I realize the benefit for general urban/ suburban use as well as for camper conversions. But I needed the versatility of utility so went with the 270 Deg doors. I wanted to be able to open the rear doors in my closed garage. I wanted to be able to back up to a loading platform or building and get really close with the doors open. I wanted unobstructed upper access for loading materials or kayak on a roof rack from the rear. As far as rain or sun when camping I simply open the doors 180 deg and throw a tarp over the top and have the benefit of wind blockage and privacy. With the barn doors opened 270 deg the slider will open half way allowing side access. (never open the passenger side rear door 270 deg with the slider fully opened however) I tow a boat and my hitch has a 3" rise with the ball attached to a surge brake trailer tongue and the Metris barn doors open without restriction. Its all individual preference and its nice to have the choice of lift gate or 270 deg. (I did not even consider the 180 deg barn doors). By the way we bought our Metris in November 2016 and at the time there was a white lift gate model without a rear window at the dealership.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
You can open the sliders the whole way, actually- you just pull the doors off the body, move the slider to lock, and then gently put the barn door back. If you do it frequently, a pad point where the doors touch is a good idea.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had a '99 Eurovan with a liftgate. While I thought about it for my Metris for rain coverage, the cons were too many. 1 -- weight -- it is not easy opening. 2 -- all or nothing (you can't open just half like you can on the barn doors. 3 -- hitting the garage and space limits (there's no way I'd get the lift gate open when the van is in my smallish garage. 4 -- Cost -- I'd rather spend elsewhere. 5 -- durability me thinks the barn doors will take abuse better than the liftgate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm looking at the 2019 DOG,
for the Cargo van with tailgate WITH window, I would chose options W65 and W61. However, option W61 is not offered, indicating that the large window is not available on the Cargo... This is possible.

So then looking at the Passenger van Options list, W65 is ofcourse is offered but there isn't any W61 option either!
Checking the standard equipment list, expecting to see W61 on the Passenger van, but no! And of course not on the Cargo either.
Only conclusion, the tailgate W65 comes only WITH the large window, and is no longer available without the window.

This is OK for my needs, but can anyone confirm that this is correct?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts