Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone with a factory (or aftermarket) hitch tell me the approximate distance from the ground to the bottom of the hitch? Our dealer has at least a dozen of these and not one has a hitch. We will be attaching a 2-4 bike carrier (as shown) that extends back a good 4+ feet and the higher the hitch the better. We had wanted to be able to outfit the interior as a 2x2x2 and slide the kids bikes in the resulting channel but MB does not want to sell a 2x bench separately. The kids bikes may still fit if we remove the back bench but I'll need to take a tape to the dealer to confirm.

Also, if anyone knows, is the only way to get a factory backup camera to order the C02 Driver Efficiency Package? In the days of modern phones and google maps, a built in nav (Becker map Pilot) seems a bit barbaric and like another electrical component that can fail.

Thanks again to anyone willing to measure up!

Attachments

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Just measured ours, and it's about 11" from the ground to the bottom of the hitch.

I don't know if it makes a difference that we're in Canada, but we were able to get our factory backup camera as a standalone option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great,

11" isn't too bad at all and should keep those uncomfortable "grindz" to a minimum. Can you confirm that it is the factory hitch you have? (some of the aftermarket ones look like they might sit a bit lower below the bumper).

Thanks again for looking at this for me, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Afaik, you are only able to get the reverse camera with the package.

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Yes, it is the factory hitch and yes, the factory backup camera was a standalone option for us. The hitch sits just below the bumper and looks great. We just took delivery of the van a week ago, but as I said, we're in Canada so that might be the difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OEM hitch requires that you cut the bumper (notch) as it is a bit above the bottom of the bumper. I have the aftermarket hitch by Draw-tight and it works fine. It does not require the bumper to be cut and is less than half the cost of the OEM hitch. Installation is very simple and the dealer will charge a bundle to install. I don't think it sits much lower than the spare tire and I have yet to have an issue with hitting pavement with it. I still have to install the trailer light wiring, but I got the parts from the dealer. The vans with blind spot monitor have a different module to install that apparently has a hitch backup feature added to the rear view camera.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Emcain,
Do you mind measuring the ground to bottom of the hitch on your aftermarket model? I'm not concerned about the raw hitch dragging but the bike rack extends backwards a good 13 inches prior to the joint that angles upward and then flattens out (which the individual racks attach to). It's the bottom of the first extension which has given me some grinding on one of my current cars. I also see that the Curt website has a metris hitch rated at 900 lb tounge weight (#13276) which might be a great solution for my situation given the scarcity of models with a hitch in my neighborhood (assuming I don't want to wait for a custom build which I was told would now technically be a 2017 with a 4 month delay). Regardless, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Also, if anyone knows, is the only way to get a factory backup camera to order the C02 Driver Efficiency Package? In the days of modern phones and google maps, a built in nav (Becker map Pilot) seems a bit barbaric and like another electrical component that can fail.
In my MY-2016 Dealer Ordering Guide the FR8 Rear View Camera IS listed as part of the CO2 Driver Efficiency Package (total cost $1540), BUT the FR8 Rear view camera is ALSO listed separately as Optional Equipment for both Cargo and Passenger vans at a cost of $657. This is how I'll configure mine. I prefer a separate GPS also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We've got the aftermarket DrawTite hitch receiver on our van primarily for our bike rack. I originally wanted to the factory towing package, but when we couldn't find one, and I realized the cost difference (you can get the receiver on eBay for under $200 vs. $600+ for factory), aftermarket was a no brainer.

Anyway the hitch is low compared to the '11 Explorer we had before. I just measured and it's about 9" off the pavement, so a bit lower than factory, but with our Thule Parkway rack I think we've only scraped twice. Once it was the rack that contacted the ground backing out of a steep driveway, and once it was actually the receiver itself. If you look at the structure of it, the whole frame of the hitch receiver sits pretty low. There's one street near me where you turn onto the road and immediately are headed up hill. We caught it just right where the outer end of the receiver frame just barely contacted the pavement.

Other than those two times though, I've got no complaints. One nice thing is with the receiver so low, the bikes are barely visible thru the rear window. For some reason that really distracted me with our Explorer.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
In my MY-2016 Dealer Ordering Guide the FR8 Rear View Camera IS listed as part of the CO2 Driver Efficiency Package (total cost $1540), BUT the FR8 Rear view camera is ALSO listed separately as Optional Equipment for both Cargo and Passenger vans at a cost of $657.
Further notes: Dealer Ordering Guide is 11/17/2015. Metris Equipment Handbook (4/29/15) on page 38 shows FR8 Rearview camera, and in the Remarks section there is no mention of this requiring any other equipment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same setup as whosagrubb so I am about 9" off the ground also. I have not yet hit anything, but I doubt the OEM hitch would be much better. I recall hitting my bike rack hitch once with my 4runner on a steep driveway skirt, so its likely just something to watch with any vehicle that has a hitch/bike rack and a steep incline/decline approach angle. I try to take those at an angle to reduce the possibility of a drag.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
In my MY-2016 Dealer Ordering Guide the FR8 Rear View Camera IS listed as part of the CO2 Driver Efficiency Package (total cost $1540), BUT the FR8 Rear view camera is ALSO listed separately as Optional Equipment for both Cargo and Passenger vans at a cost of $657. This is how I'll configure mine. I prefer a separate GPS also.
At that price, get the package! It also gets you Cruise Control (the best manual system in the industry- you set the speed digitally and it maintains it, including braking- in 1 or 5mph increments- great cop buster to just knock it down 5 instead of jerking on the pedal) for $367 ok it's own, the very useful fog lights (not otherwise available but $216 on the sprinter) and the $90 storage tray. Buy the package, insist to the dealer to not install the map pilot unit, and sell it on eBay for $2-300.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there a difference in ground clearance between the drawtite hitch and the curt? I think I read somewhere the curt had more clearance?

·
Registered
397 Posts
With the aftermarket hitches what are people doing for the proper wiring connections for lights/brakes/stability control program (it adjusts for the trailer)? Also.... turning off the parking/blindspot sensors.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I dislike doing this type of post because I generally find unsolicited opinion in this and other forums objectionable and sometimes obnoxious. Knowing I’m stating the obvious, I will suggest, for future Metris owners, if there is a possibility the vehicle will be used for towing, or even not, serious consideration should be taken to finding one with the factory-towing package installed. There is a lot more to the Metris towing package than the hitch alone.
By searching this forum on the subjects of towing, after market hitches, and attributes of the Metris towing package, the significant advantages of going factory are apparent. Resale may also be a consideration.
So enough of my opinion.

Except maybe that if you don’t get the cold weather package you’ll freeze you ass off next winter.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have an aftermarket hitch haven’t had a problem with it since dealer installed it when I pick up my van ( dealer wanted 2,000 for factory hitch). It does sit lower then factory maybe once or twice I had scrap it when cargo was fully loaded but not all the time. I have towed 3500lb with it I wouldn’t recommend it but that’s van fault not the hitch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We went and added an alpine stereo system which came with a back up camera (since our Metris didn't come with the package or Navi) and we had a great electronic's place install it that knows Mercedes and it's quirk's. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
towing package details?

There is a lot more to the Metris towing package than the hitch alone.
I am definitely looking for a Metris with the towing package, but I'm having trouble finding details on what is included besides the hitch. Your post was very helpful, do you happen to have any more information? (Our trailer has a 7-pin connector, which we would get wired up rather than use a 5 pin converter).

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
The towing package includes a 7 pin connector (but on pre 2019 vans no wiring for a TBC). It also includes an extra program for the stability program that, when a trailer is wired in, will work to automatically compensate for trailer sway and operate the system in general accounting for the trailer. If your van is equipped with a backup camera it will also gain a second viewing mode designed to assist in aligning the hitch with the trailer for backing up to it.

Also keep in mind that the hitch included is a very high quality German-made hitch by Westphalia.

That being said, if I was buying used having a factory trailer hitch would be a bit of a turn off (vehicle may have been used to tow, thus increasing wear) on a passenger van, a slightly larger one on a cargo (higher likelihood of use). An aftermarket unit would be a nearly automatic no, as it certainly would be used, and may point to an owner who does not understand Mercedes vehicles.

I bought the package because I wasn’t sure where life was going, the package was cheap and integrated, and i have long had a desire to go road tripping with a travel trailer if I had the money to buy one. I have done flea markets forever so me needing to carry more merchandise was a possibility. I have thus far never used it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts