Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I have a 2016 passenger Metris, approx 70,000 miles (here in Ontario, 113,500 km), and it suddenly had a significant humming noise when driving. I'm not a mechanic--I thought it was a wheel bearing--but here's the mechanic's report:
"REPORT ON ROTATIONAL HUMMING NOISE - REAR BEARING NOISE, REQUIRES REAR DIFFERENTIAL REBUILD" They also report that all seals/gaskets are fine and the fluid is an the correct level.

Unfortunately I can't shove my problems into the lap of a dealer's warranty; probably will need to pay for this one myself. Getting a different vehicle isn't a good option; I love this vehicle and it fits our family (five kids) better than anything else we've driven. But here are some of my questions:
1. Is this quite unusual for a Metris to need rear end work so soon (70K miles)? Any suggestions on why this is? Certain driving style or something causing abnormal wear?
2. I sure hope this isn't a known weakness in this vehicle. Have you heard of it before? I am hoping to have this vehicle for years yet--so many reasons to love the Metris!
3. What questions should I ask my mechanic? Any specific things the mechanic should pay special attention to?
4. Any suggestions on a kit of the bearings? (I think the gears are all still in good shape, but the rear end hasn't been opened yet and I am not a good judge of this.) Is this a part from MB or can I get some reliable aftermarket parts?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I enjoy reading these threads but other than generally being really happy with my Metris, I don't have much to contribute!

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have never heard of a rear diff rebuild on a Benz under 400k miles or so. I’d get a second opinion. It is certainly not a known weakness on the Metris. I got 112384mi on mine as of this moment and it’s going good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. You answered the question that I had not put on my list, but it’s probably the most important question of all! I will get a second opinion and let you know what they find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anticipate that will be Mercedes parts specific. I'd be very surprised if there is aftermarket.

Driving style is subjective. Unless you are doing lots of spinning out on snow, hard stop light racing, submerging the rear into the water for launching your boat or owner neglect, then sure premature wear can happen.

Do you have a German Auto Indie Mechanic that you can trust and be supported by or are you dependent on dealer?

Was there any required service needed for the rear differential before warranty was up and if so, at what kms?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Highly unusual. I've never seen a failed MB rear differential, even on cars with nearly 350k on them driven hard on a regular basis. Likely a fluke or flawed part. The diff on the Metris is quite robust to handle the power/torque/towing ratings the van has.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dear all,

I have a 2016 passenger Metris, approx 70,000 miles (here in Ontario, 113,500 km), and it suddenly had a significant humming noise when driving. I'm not a mechanic--I thought it was a wheel bearing--but here's the mechanic's report:
"REPORT ON ROTATIONAL HUMMING NOISE - REAR BEARING NOISE, REQUIRES REAR DIFFERENTIAL REBUILD" They also report that all seals/gaskets are fine and the fluid is an the correct level.

Unfortunately I can't shove my problems into the lap of a dealer's warranty; probably will need to pay for this one myself. Getting a different vehicle isn't a good option; I love this vehicle and it fits our family (five kids) better than anything else we've driven. But here are some of my questions:
1. Is this quite unusual for a Metris to need rear end work so soon (70K miles)? Any suggestions on why this is? Certain driving style or something causing abnormal wear?
2. I sure hope this isn't a known weakness in this vehicle. Have you heard of it before? I am hoping to have this vehicle for years yet--so many reasons to love the Metris!
3. What questions should I ask my mechanic? Any specific things the mechanic should pay special attention to?
4. Any suggestions on a kit of the bearings? (I think the gears are all still in good shape, but the rear end hasn't been opened yet and I am not a good judge of this.) Is this a part from MB or can I get some reliable aftermarket parts?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I enjoy reading these threads but other than generally being really happy with my Metris, I don't have much to contribute!

Cheers.
Hello, the differential on the metris is not like a Sprinter. It has differential box with half shafts to drive wheels. Could be one of the CV joints

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never heard of a rear diff rebuild on a Benz under 400k miles or so. I’d get a second opinion. It is certainly not a known weakness on the Metris. I got 112384mi on mine as of this moment and it’s going good.
I got a second opinion. Don’t have a local mechanic specializing in German autos, per se, but this shop does maintain several other Metris vans and they’re comfortable working with my vehicle. They lifted the vehicle and used a stethoscope to listen and... changed a wheel bearing! I may be singing a different tune in a week or two, but for now I am pretty chipper. Glad it doesn’t seem to be the rear end!

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts