Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running larger than stock tires on my van, and they will not fit in the underbody spare tire carrier. Is anybody aware of a Rear door tire carrier for the Metris?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have emailed Owl Vans if they would make a rear tire/Sherpa carrier for the Metris with 180 degree doors(i just think a lifted Metris with larger tires looks GREAT!)? They said there are no plans now. Maybe if enough people ask we could convince them to consider it?

I checked out Google images for ‘off road Metris’ and found a picture of one with a lift gate and some sort of strapped carrier for an oversized tire(and a jerry can). Similar to a bike carrier you see on the back of minivan.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Consider taking photos of other vehicles with what you want and see if a local metal fabricator will take the job. I did that for stainless steel trim on a kitchen countertop. They did a great job and it didn’t cost too much.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Consider taking photos of other vehicles with what you want and see if a local metal fabricator will take the job. I did that for stainless steel trim on a kitchen countertop. They did a great job and it didn’t cost too much.
Really? When I redid my kitchen last year, I wanted to do enameled metal countertops to match the surface on my Hoosier cabinet’s pullout. When I looked into having the countertop for my existing counters (which were 1930s-1940s vintage Which fit what I was going for pretty close so it would have been a shame to rip them out) fabricated in a matching rolled enamel, the price was eye watering. I ended up going with rubberwood butcherblock; I bought an 8’x2.5’x2” chunk of unfinished and cut it down to size and sawzalled out the hole for the cast-iron sink I had Found.

I spent more on hooking up my 1924 Glenwood side-by-side stove and installing a single electric outlet on my enclosed back porch to relocate the modern (thus anachronistic) refrigerator, than I did on the whole rest of it (including the unrestored but perfectly functional said Glenwood). I would have went quite a bit further for rolled enamel counter tops.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Really? When I redid my kitchen last year, I wanted to do enameled metal countertops to match the surface on my Hoosier cabinet’s pullout. When I looked into having the countertop for my existing counters (which were 1930s-1940s vintage Which fit what I was going for pretty close so it would have been a shame to rip them out) fabricated in a matching rolled enamel, the price was eye watering. I ended up going with rubberwood butcherblock; I bought an 8’x2.5’x2” chunk of unfinished and cut it down to size and sawzalled out the hole for the cast-iron sink I had Found.

I spent more on hooking up my 1924 Glenwood side-by-side stove and installing a single electric outlet on my enclosed back porch to relocate the modern (thus anachronistic) refrigerator, than I did on the whole rest of it (including the unrestored but perfectly functional said Glenwood). I would have went quite a bit further for rolled enamel counter tops.
I’m usually not the one to get a deal on a thing. Maybe, I just got a little lucky because I used a fabricator that did general and commercial work and not kitchen specific. So, their bid was just materials and hourly job rate, instead of the “kitchen remodeling” rate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not understanding why you're using larger than stock tires. Added weight = reduced performance and reduced fuel economy. If anything you would want to go with alloy wheels to reduce weight, but it's not a good idea to alter the factory recommended tire size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts