Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering about the differential in the Metris. With two wheel drive / rear drive here in the northeast I have always felt traction is a consideration and limited slip / locking rear ends are nice to have. Jason and his Chicago News YouTube answers the question I have right off the bat in his video ( it's a nice review for us working stiffs too ) . Enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWp_x0iDUhg

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
Limited slip differentials, high performance auto crossing and the like excepted, are outdated and obsolete equipment. The Metris has the full suite of Mercedes-Benz's ESP aides, which includes ASR, which is essentially a faster-acting electronic limited slip function.

If you are planning on auto crossing, I suggest a vehicle with a less than 126" wheelbase for the job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would love if it really has a true limited slip or locker rear end for driving in the snow, the traction control may be nice for icy roads and keeping it going in the right direction, but as someone in MN that drives in snow for 4-6 months, all over MN ND SD and part of IA, having both rear tires pushing through snow is really helpful...

when the snow gets deep esp and asr type things don't work worth a crap... IMHO

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
My suggestion is to wait for the snow and test drive one. In my experience, the Metris handles snow deep as its bumper just fine. Deeper than that, and LSD won't help you, and neither will 4X4, frankly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Its all about the tires you use as well. No traction, no control. I hope you would have dedicated snow tires for winter.

Reactions: Maximus

·
Registered
15 Posts
i live in the northeast and have hesitation with purchasing a RWD. I know tires are your grip and are the difference in safety for stoping and sliding and awd 4x4 are for the go to get you moving. I would feel more comfortable obviously buying awd but if there was a choice between fwd and RWD I would feel more secure with RWD in the elements.
Am I off base?

·
Registered
200 Posts
The only advantage that a FWD vehicle has is an extra XXX (hundreds) pounds over the drive wheels. And, FWD comes with an enormous disadvantage, i.e. that the drive wheels are also the steering wheels which means that loss of traction = loss of directional control.

The weight over the drive wheels is easily solvable with xxx (hundreds) pounds of nice clean play sand ($5 per 100 wt) in bags over the rear wheels. It also comes in handy when one actually gets stuck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts