Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
Just purchased a 2018 passenger metris
to replace my beloved Eurovan weekender.
Am looking for a quality bench folding bed unit
resources - recommendations?
Looks like Riemo has a nice one...
But where to purchase in the states?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
292 Posts
You can get a very nice Scopema seat in Canada. https://travois.ca/product/altair-neptune-bed-seat-series/ I believe they also have an office in Vancouver.

I tried to get them to ship one to the US (Alaska) but ended up with nothing after 2 1/2 months of effort. But I know at least a couple of other seats have been shipped to AK so its possible.

I don't believe I've seen any threads where anyone has successfully mounted a Scopema or Riemo seat on rails yet in the Metris.

However, there are a number of companies doing full conversions of the Metris now so perhaps one of them has engineered a solution.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thank you for the input!
Will follow up.
Just posted this in another folding seat thread but might be interesting for you too:

I swapped my seats out to the European once. Harp Automotive in Elkhrad, Indiana. Martyn Hall was very helpful with organizing shipping for these seats down to New Orleans. Unfortunately the shipping company screwed up and dropped the carefully crated boxes Harp provided, but that's a different story!

The seats are awesome as they allow for me to use the passenger van in its original 8 seater configuration and when I want more space I remove a bench. if I want a furniture pod on passenger side I remove the singles as well , which gives me 4 seats and when flipped down a surface to add a mattress for sleeping. I have not developed this part yet and work I am looking to either get the Vanessa split sleeping system & or the Vanable one, or simply rebuild it . Doesn't look to complicated.

Attached pics not mine, its a euro camper with euro rails but same idea...my removal kitchen pod would be in current config with US rails on the passenger side. But I might swap to euro rails to have more flexibility and change positions of the seats.
off course you also can just flip all seats in its original 3 seat configuration and get a nice sleeping surface ...and surface to haul 4x8 sheets

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Julie310,

I have a pair of Scopema Neptune style single seats for sale if you are interested. The seats fold down to form a bed with swiveling front seats or back cabinet (or both depending on your height). The idea is to save space by using the front seats as part of the beds. Each seat is about 2 feet wide. I thought they are good ideas for small van and bought them to mimic a Reimo "multi-style" campervan:

Unfortunately upon pick up last month I found the seats are a few inches too wide to make a passable middle aisle (third picture attached). So I have to uninstalled them shortly after the install. I have been re-thinking my floor plan since...

I think the seats will be perfect for bigger vans such as sprinter. For Metris, they may work if you have cargo van and don't have side panel/side airbag to worry about (need to check underneath as well), or you just want to install a single seat. Or maybe you have other creative ideas...

If they fit your need, please PM me for more details.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you
For responding!
Really looking for a simple fold down bench seat like my Eurovan had.
Appreciate the input.
More to absorb...:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Harp Automotive Corp lists a Marco Polo bench bed with parcel shelf on their website. No picture, price or other info such as whether you need the European rails (which they sell) to make it work.

These vans have only been around a few years now and these kinds of options are not available through Mercedes in the US. I hope more options become available with time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't believe I've seen any threads where anyone has successfully mounted a Scopema or Riemo seat on rails yet in the Metris.
That's what I'm waiting for. That Scopema bench looks awesome, but it's permanent. I need to haul 4x8 sheets a couple times a year and need to be able to remove easily, plus a drop-in bench that requires no modifications or hole drilling would be great. I had contacted Travois to ask about customizing the Scopema bench so that it uses US/Ca factory bench "legs" that fit into the factory tracks, and what the dimensions of the bench were. I never did get anywhere though.

If I get serious about it, I was thinking of obtaining an extra 3-person bench to cut the legs off of and weld them onto the Scopema bench.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If I get serious about it, I was thinking of obtaining an extra 3-person bench to cut the legs off of and weld them onto the Scopema bench.
The Scopema seats are pretty tall. If you decide to weld the legs on, try not adding height to the seats. I think they should ideally be on the bare floor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, I haven't seen them in person yet. I assumed the Scopema legs would need to be chopped of and replaced with the MB legs. It would a be pretty involved project and would likely require additional steel to adapt between the two while maintaining structural integrity. Also would need to build a jig.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, I haven't seen them in person yet. I assumed the Scopema legs would need to be chopped of and replaced with the MB legs. It would a be pretty involved project and would likely require additional steel to adapt between the two while maintaining structural integrity. Also would need to build a jig.
Good thinking! I went to my garage and looked at my Scopema. Appear that it could be quite doable since the top of the seats are bolted to the frame. You can see the bolts where the top and the frame connected in the second and third picture in my previous post. So no need to chop, may just need to screw the bolts off, separate the top part of the seat from the frame, and bolt the top to another stable platform...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good thinking! I went to my garage and looked at my Scopema. Appear that it could be quite doable since the top of the seats are bolted to the frame. You can see the bolts where the top and the frame connected in the second and third picture in my previous post. So no need to chop, may just need to screw the bolts off, separate the top part of the seat from the frame, and bolt the top to another stable platform...
The seat belts are installed on the frame. Re-install the seat belt safely in alternative platform will need knowledge and skills...

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's what I'm waiting for. That Scopema bench looks awesome, but it's permanent. I need to haul 4x8 sheets a couple times a year and need to be able to remove easily, plus a drop-in bench that requires no modifications or hole drilling would be great. I had contacted Travois to ask about customizing the Scopema bench so that it uses US/Ca factory bench "legs" that fit into the factory tracks, and what the dimensions of the bench were. I never did get anywhere though.

I am pretty happy with my set up:
swapped the US seats to the European fold down seats that I can take out easier than the US heavy 3 seater benches. I choose to install 2 x 60/40 split which allows me to take out just the singles seats on passenger side if I need that loading space and still have a flat surface when seats are fold down, while still be able to transport 6 people in the van.
When all seats are fold down I can transport 4x8 panels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am pretty happy with my set up:
swapped the US seats to the European fold down seats that I can take out easier than the US heavy 3 seater benches. I choose to install 2 x 60/40 split which allows me to take out just the singles seats on passenger side if I need that loading space and still have a flat surface when seats are fold down, while still be able to transport 6 people in the van.
When all seats are fold down I can transport 4x8 panels.
Did you install the 4-rail system? Or do the seats fit in the US 3-rail system?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Julie,
We, too, were Eurovan Weekender owners for 10 years and moved to a Metris last year. TouRig in Golden CO customized our van to be like a Weekender. You see photos of our van on the TouRig website. Look at The Collins on https://www.mytourig.com/metris/. I was told by the folks at TouRig that, unfortunately, the company that provided our seat has since gone out of business; however, they have or a working on a new solution. Another possibility is to see if someone is willing to custom fit a used seat out of a Eurovan to work in the Metris. Our seat does not have seat belts, as it is always just the two of us riding in the front seats.

·
Registered
196 Posts
ColoradoDave may I ask how much was the conversion? Thanks, thinking to have windows done on the passenger side slider door...or maybe even on the driver side.

If anybody knows, where to get under seat boxes I need to remove the partition bar that is in my Metris and install new larger boxes under my front seats to be able to install swivels from Travois upfitters in Canada, the swivels are top notch product really happy to have them...

If somebody needs partition bar I will not need it so it may be for grabs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Checkout- argh, the moderator would not let me post the link. Google peacevans + weekender. They do conversions but may be willing to sell the seat they use. It's the OEM uplifter seat available in Europe. 3 passenger, folds to double bed or compresses tight, and on tracks so when folded tight and slid to front it has a ton of space behind. Thinking of buying that Weekender package myself, but checking here for complaints about Metris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts