Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
FYI: It is a CITABLE moving violation for CAMPING IN THE LEFT LANE even above max speed particularly when any other approximate vehicle is moving faster - NATIONWIDE. The left lane is for passing ONLY. The citation/warning will either read "interesting phenomenon" or possibly "impeding the flow of traffic".
I am aware of that. I am always passing in the left lane. If you have a person in the right lane going 70 or 75, and I am passing them in the left lane going 80, I am proceeding properly, irrespective of whether or not there is somebody who wants to go 90. I am also not required to (nor should I) move over until I am an appropriate distance In front of the vehicle I have just passed. Unless I am imminently about to pass a second vehicle, I will, as a matter of course, pull right- unless the vehicle behind me has already demonstrated that it will get in front of me and then slow down below the speed I wish to travel at.

Some people, however, get so impatient as to pass the 70-75 mph right laner, immediately cut them off, and pass me going 90 on the right, pull left, and then slow down to 75. That is the circumstance I am referring to. Those people actually annoy me.

I am also stating that I do not get annoyed by the people who want to go 90 and pass me on the right in the manner stated above and continue going 90. They are rude but if I got annoyed at every rude person- I mean I’m already chronically hypertensive. Ain’t worth it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I am aware of that. I am always passing in the left lane. If you have a person in the right lane going 70 or 75, and I am passing them in the left lane going 80, I am proceeding properly, irrespective of whether or not there is somebody who wants to go 90. I am also not required to (nor should I) move over until I am an appropriate distance In front of the vehicle I have just passed. Unless I am imminently about to pass a second vehicle, I will, as a matter of course, pull right- unless the vehicle behind me has already demonstrated that it will get in front of me and then slow down below the speed I wish to travel at.
Right, you don't need to yield the #1 lane if you are yourself passing a slower moving vehicle, regardless of what fool is behind you, meaning you don't have to move right and be forced to slow down to allow someone behind you to pass on a multi-lane highway. I don't count emergency vehicle drivers as fools -- you gotta yield to them!

·
Banned
52 Posts
Does anyone have any issue with Metrix 3.8" ground clearance? I am interested in buying one and converted to a weekender camper for traveling. 3.8" clearance seems awfully low. a speed bump height can be any where between 3" to 6".
Driving on unpaved or gravel road may have an issue.
Before eliminating Metris from the wish list, I would lay on the floor and look at the clearance. Compared to my Promaster City, which gave me no problems camping in Colorado, it has good ground clearance. The low points are all very close to wheels, which tend to be on top of the rock that would scrape the bottom. If you drive sanely off-road on decent dirt roads, I just don't think it's a problem. Mine struck me as more like my Subaru Forester than my PMC when I looked at it closely.

·
Registered
181 Posts
They are torque monsters. Those hamsters get properly flogged by the German walking boss

·
Registered
22 Posts
FYI: It is a CITABLE moving violation for CAMPING IN THE LEFT LANE even above max speed particularly when any other approximate vehicle is moving faster - NATIONWIDE. The left lane is for passing ONLY. The citation/warning will either read "interesting phenomenon" or possibly "impeding the flow of traffic".

Please proceed w/the OP - I love the handling and performance of my Metris too. Let's talk about that!!!
What you say may be true but in my experience in CA is left lane hogs/campers/road boulders are tolerated even by law enforcement. If they weren't CA could make up the $54B budget short fall with fines on these drivers alone.

It is only until I get out of CA into -- most of the time AZ -- that I find most drivers do follow the rule that the left lane is for passing only. Kind of funny but when in AZ or NM or any other states and I see a vehicle staying put in the left lane invariably it has CA plates.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
Removing the limiter is actually fairly complicated, from what I understand. In anycase I think the limiter is a good idea for me; I’m better off not being tempted to go even faster; 101 is fast enough for the northeast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve noticed an interesting phenomenon on local highways - those roads that have traffic lights, 4+ lanes, andare posted at 55. In NJ on those types of roads cops tend to ignore you for going less than ten under and that’s the speed I go.

I have been passed constantly on the right by clearly angry drivers that look at me like I’m a road hog, even though I had just finished passing a car with alacrity, with them going 75+, a speed in that circumstance that would instantly get them pulled over, get them a 4 point ticket, and possibly a reckless driving citation, especially given the nature of the pass.

I can only assume that something makes them think I am driving slower than I Actually am.
I used to drive a wagon and instantly noticed that people hate driving behind me and pass or switch lanes around me whenever possible. I think it's because they can't see past me and because the way the van slows down on its own, they're probably surprised that I slow down without a brake light warning them.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts