Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time on the highway with my 2020 Metris. Some mountain driving past Mt. Hood between Portland and Bend, Oregon. Some steep grades, plenty of curves.
This van is amazing. Flying up the steep grades, passing easily, 110 mph no problem. I had no idea the van could perform like that.
Interestingly, sometimes when I flew by a truck or car, sometimes it would speed up and pass me back... like the driver was angry a delivery van just blew past his Range Rover, GTI, Dodge Ram, or BMW.
.....must be a “dick “ thing...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah limiter is 101....hits it like a wall. Better than the sprinter, those are capped at 83!

My GLK is limited to 130 and hits that like a wall too. Its a tire design limitation...technically it can approach 150 with limiter removed. My E320 will theoretically do 155....not going to test that.

I've gone 155mph (limiter) on the autobahn in a 2002 C220 CDI wagon 6 speed. Good times! W203/S203 chassis is solid as a rock even at those speeds.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I’ve noticed an interesting phenomenon on local highways - those roads that have traffic lights, 4+ lanes, andare posted at 55. In NJ on those types of roads cops tend to ignore you for going less than ten under and that’s the speed I go.

I have been passed constantly on the right by clearly angry drivers that look at me like I’m a road hog, even though I had just finished passing a car with alacrity, with them going 75+, a speed in that circumstance that would instantly get them pulled over, get them a 4 point ticket, and possibly a reckless driving citation, especially given the nature of the pass.

I can only assume that something makes them think I am driving slower than I Actually am.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was a kid, I tied a long twine to the Governor on a John Deere mowing tractor. Pull the string, deactivate the Governor, tractor goes fast. Maybe a piece of string on my Metris?

·
Registered
51 Posts
My favorite was a two-hour drive to a gig, loaded to the ceiling with sound and camping equipment for a 4-day festival, up the 101 North of Sonoma County where it gets twisty & hilly. The engine just seemed to laugh at those hills, never struggling, just used the cruise control the whole way to control the speed. I only went 5 over the speed limit for most of that trip for safety concerns, still got 22mpg on the way there and 24 back (there's some elevation involved). This van LOVES to be loaded with gear!

And yeah, never had any trouble accelerating to pass or gain a better position on our freeways, she's ready to go when I need her. 2018 cargo from the lot with a few upgrades (cruise control, blind spot detection, comfort seats, brown).

·
Registered
284 Posts
I’ve noticed an interesting phenomenon on local highways - those roads that have traffic lights, 4+ lanes, andare posted at 55. In NJ on those types of roads cops tend to ignore you for going less than ten under and that’s the speed I go.

I have been passed constantly on the right by clearly angry drivers that look at me like I’m a road hog, even though I had just finished passing a car with alacrity, with them going 75+, a speed in that circumstance that would instantly get them pulled over, get them a 4 point ticket, and possibly a reckless driving citation, especially given the nature of the pass.

I can only assume that something makes them think I am driving slower than I Actually am.
I think it's because they hate being behind a van. I deal with it everyday. Idiots always passing me on the right.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yep, I can be zooming in the left lane whizzing by cars on my right, and there are still folks who see a van, assume it's slow, and will try almost anything to get around me. Or when merging onto the freeway, they try their damnest to get in front of me even though I may be doing well above the speed limit already (Yes, I move left if I can to allow people to merge on)

I also understand that they can't see through the van, and some folks just want to be able to see more of the road ahead of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first time on the highway with my 2020 Metris. Some mountain driving past Mt. Hood between Portland and Bend, Oregon. Some steep grades, plenty of curves.
This van is amazing. Flying up the steep grades, passing easily, 110 mph no problem. I had no idea the van could perform like that.
Interestingly, sometimes when I flew by a truck or car, sometimes it would speed up and pass me back... like the driver was angry a delivery van just blew past his Range Rover, GTI, Dodge Ram, or BMW.
Have not driven in mountains yet, except for the stubs of worn down mountains here in NWA area, and have limited my freeway driving as the van engine is still in break in but I agree the van's performance is pretty impressive. I have to be careful. The engine RPMs can quickly exceed 3K if I'm not careful with the gas pedal.

A few times for a short distance I have cruised with the cruise set to 70mph and the van has exhibited no problems going up any grades.

Have been on some back roads with curves and I am conservative with the speed as I am not that familiar with either the roads or the van yet but the van's road feel inspires confidence. Has 17" Hankook tires.

Loving my 2020 Metris more and more every day. Been driving it every day. Gas tank getting empty. Time to fill up the gas tank tomorrow. 91 ethanol free octane is selling for $2.19/gallon at a Richfield station not too far from where I live.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have any issue with Metrix 3.8" ground clearance? I am interested in buying one and converted to a weekender camper for traveling. 3.8" clearance seems awfully low. a speed bump height can be any where between 3" to 6".
Driving on unpaved or gravel road may have an issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone have any issue with Metrix 3.8" ground clearance? I am interested in buying one and converted to a weekender camper for traveling. 3.8" clearance seems awfully low. a speed bump height can be any where between 3" to 6".
No issue so far and I don't expect any. Other vehicles (sports cars) I have owned have had low ground clearance and I never had any issues.

'course, none of them were used off pavement. 3.8" ground clearance is not much. If you limit your off road excursions to pulling into a managed camp ground to spend a night or 3 you'll probably be ok.

But if you are planning to use the Metris to get to that out of the way camping spot that has you on an unpaved road that runs miles into the "outback"... forget about it.

For an idea of how it can all go wrong check out the videos on this channel:

Many a tow/rescue operation starts out - once off the pavement -- on a relatively "nice" unpaved (but graded) road. However it doesn't take long before the road turns into something that would give a mountain goat weak knees.

Vehicles with even more ground clearance get high centered or buried in sand or mud or snow.

For a van to use as a platform to convert to a camper that has some better off road capabilities the Sprinter with 4WD would be a better choice. Was behind one -- with Texas plates -- the other day. However, while the van had 4WD the ground clearance did not appear to be that much. So it would have its limits.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am pretty sure the published ground clearance is the "fully laden" height...aka the lowest it would ever be. Mine sits more like 6-7" normally....its at least as high as my E320 wagon which is about 6.5", but slightly lower than my GLK which is just under 9".

There's options out there to add a lift kit that gets a couple extra inches if needed.

Reactions: Walter

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am pretty sure the published ground clearance is the "fully laden" height...aka the lowest it would ever be. Mine sits more like 6-7" normally....its at least as high as my E320 wagon which is about 6.5", but slightly lower than my GLK which is just under 9".

There's options out there to add a lift kit that gets a couple extra inches if needed.
Did a search and one source (cars.com) give the ground clearance of 4.4" (min).

Edmunds lists it at 4.4" with no "(min)" qualifier.

Still 4.4" ain't much in the off road world. I have visited friends who have gravel drives and the center of the drive can make light contact with the underside of my other vehicles.

Thus in my opinion I would not consider a Metris even with 4.4" ground clearance to be a vehicle to take on anything but a smoothly graded unpaved gravel road. And even then this presents a risk if a larger rock or piece of tree limb is in the road. Or as is often the case -- my experience when I rode off road motorcycles -- the unpaved road starts out ok but as one continues the road deteriorates. By the time one realizes it is time to turn around, there is no turn around or one gets stuck turning around.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I also understand that they can't see through the van, and some folks just want to be able to see more of the road ahead of them.
I can understand that. I want to go my 75 or 80 (depending on the highway) or faster if someone kindly provides me with a block, and if someone wants to pass me and maintain 75+ or 80+, I’m good with that. But I have NO patience for people who see me in the left lane going 80, pass me on the right (I actually have no real problem with that either- it’s legal in NJ and PA and I do it all the time) going some substantially higher speed, pull in front of me, and then proceed to drive at some speed under 75 or 80, invariably using their foot and yoyoing their speed.

I am usually a very calm driver. Just two things really make me actually annoyed. The first is where someone does something that actually calls upon my skill set as a (accomplished competition) driver to avoid having an accident. The other is the above situation.

The ground clearance of the Metris that is listed is the distance from bottom of the semi trailing arm mount (the lowest non-suspension point on the van) to the road when the van is loaded to 6724 lbs with 3417lbs (the Gross Axle Weight Rating) of that weight on the rear axle. The actual minimum ground clearance when the van is not loaded is about 6.75” at the front lower body cladding (which is sacrificeable without mechanical damage. Under that circumstance a passenger van with one rear bench and 125lbs of junk in the back has 7.8 to the suspension mount.

PS i would concern myself with that clearance; there is only about a tenth of an inch difference in height between the suspension mount and the fuel tank.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A comment to address MCNichol's clearance question: I have a 2016 upfitted as a camper with about 50,000 miles and Michelin highway tires. I'm in the Southwest and we camp often and usually away from paved roads. Clearance was a worry when I first bought it, having graduated from a Ford E250 (8.9 inches clearance, if I remember). But we've been on some rough roads--rutted and pot-holed--with no problems. Of course, GO SLOW. The only time I've scraped the underside of my Metris to date was when I scraped the spare tire and that was because of a steep dip at the junction of a driveway and paved road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wait until you get rid of the center muffler and replace it with Magnaflow, it will get a lot more torque

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have been passed constantly on the right by clearly angry drivers..
FYI: It is a CITABLE moving violation for CAMPING IN THE LEFT LANE even above max speed particularly when any other approximate vehicle is moving faster - NATIONWIDE. The left lane is for passing ONLY. The citation/warning will either read "interesting phenomenon" or possibly "impeding the flow of traffic".

Please proceed w/the OP - I love the handling and performance of my Metris too. Let's talk about that!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's impressed me too with my 1400 lb cargo. Kind of unexpected for a 4, even with a turbo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts