Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Stupid woman blew a yield sign and smashed into me. It was a violent, gnarly crash. I am convinced this van saved my life. I bought her brand new from the lot. Didnt even have her for a year. Im gonna miss her.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
Very glad you are OK. That's a serious T-bone. Walking away without anything broken. Fingers crossed.

I am in the belief that driving a good EU vehicle helps minimize injuries when stuff happens. Vehicles can be replaced.

With good insurance, under a year old, ... I have my fingers crossed that you can get into new one.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Wow and on the driver side...glad you're ok. BTW, I could use that right outside mirror housing.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
The radio is probably ok in its cage, screwed in. Distortion of the dash broke all the pins / released all the clips on whatever snaps in or together.

The insurance and tow yard will object against removal of parts.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Unfortunately, you got to see the ultimate example of what you get when you shell out the extra cash on a Mercedes-Benz product. To tear that far into a very sturdy part of the crash structure on that van you must have taken quite a knock right there. I’m glad you walked away.

It was a T-bone like that but on the passenger side of my roached-out rusted-out Fred Flintstone edition ‘76 240D (passenger side, thank god) that made me a Mercedes-for-life customer. I walked away uninjured. The Honda that hit me’s driver got carried away- in a body bag. Granting he won a Darwin Award for not using his seatbelt, but even so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you already take the Climate control panel or did it go flying? Also, the radio looks like it almost fell out too? Anyways, definitely a total loss for sure.
I havent removed anything.
Unfortunately, you got to see the ultimate example of what you get when you shell out the extra cash on a Mercedes-Benz product. To tear that far into a very sturdy part of the crash structure on that van you must have taken quite a knock right there. I’m glad you walked away.

It was a T-bone like that but on the passenger side of my roached-out rusted-out Fred Flintstone edition ‘76 240D (passenger side, thank god) that made me a Mercedes-for-life customer. I walked away uninjured. The Honda that hit me’s driver got carried away- in a body bag. Granting he won a Darwin Award for not using his seatbelt, but even so.
Do you think its a total loss?

·
Registered
40 Posts
That looks like a hard hit exactly where your left foot would be, glad you were surrounded by airbags.
As crossovers and SUVs get smaller, it makes me glad that the family sits up as high as we do, and has so many safety features.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Do you think its a total loss?
Unquestionably. If your insurance suggests otherwise challenge them. The area of the firewall that is damaged there is such a central part of the cars structure, repairing that much of a compromise safely would be effectively impossible.

It could be repaired, but the logical way to do so would be to find a second van that was totaled in the rear and weld the two together. That would be possible, but very unsafe. That van is toast.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
Never say never, where there is a will there is a way, … but that would be a very involved, long and very expensive repair. They’d have to strip the engine bay and cabin to rebuild the frame and go from there.

In general, used vehicle prices are indeed high, higher than ever before according to the news, due to low supply of used vehicles and low supply of new vehicles with manufacturing delays and chips / electronics shortages. Have a look around what is available on the market, new or near new. You were not at fault. Be ready to hold your foot down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey @Walter

It has been 3 weeks and I was thinking about you.

Any updates?
Total loss. Ive been looking all over the country online for one equipped like mine with comprable mileage. No luck. Ive been out of work since the wreck. Herniated disc in my neck among other issues. I had Lucius checked out by his vet. He has neck issues as well but the vet said it should sort itself out on its own.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Sorry you guys have some injuries. I hope the insurance is covering you well.

Add your specs here and we can keep an eye out for you. Did the insurance cut you a check for the vehicle?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts