Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes is looking at bringing the R class back, Mercedes feels it was essentially the right vehicle at the wrong time...

Kurz says Mercedes-Benz is still interested in roomy, on-road based crossovers.

"There was already one that we had in the portfolio -- maybe we were too early -- which was the R-Class, which we are still selling in China. It’s doing good, with 12,000 to 14,000 units per year," Kurz said.

The departure of the R class from the company's lineup left a hole in terms of size and utility, with only the GLE and the GLS offering similar amounts of room, though in a distinctly SUV wrapper.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150619/OEM04/150619828/mercedes-benz-mulls-revival-of-r-class

·
Registered
94 Posts
Considering that the Metris chassis has already been federalized for US sale, it would be relatively easy to try offering the V-Class in the US if Mercedes wants to get back into this market.

I think they're treading cautiously because this is a new segment in North America for Mercedes Vans.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That makes sense, it is risky after all, if these go over well and their research shows potential for the volume they want with other variations then there's no reason why they wont come here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering that the Metris chassis has already been federalized for US sale, it would be relatively easy to try offering the V-Class in the US if Mercedes wants to get back into this market.

I think they're treading cautiously because this is a new segment in North America for Mercedes Vans.
yes but the R class gives them more sophistication imo

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The R-class wasn't particularly sophisticated. It was no more so than the V-class, anyway. And it looked, quite frankly, like a beached whale.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The R-class wasn't particularly sophisticated. It was no more so than the V-class, anyway. And it looked, quite frankly, like a beached whale.
x2. I thought it was a terrible vehicle really. The latest Mercedes designs have reignited my interest in Mercedes, so I'm hopeful a new generation could do justice to the R-Class's promise. Or just bring us over the V-Class, I'd buy one...(probably only me and a handful of people)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Metris is still a tin can van. Doesn't matter what badge you glue to the front. The R class was ugly indeed, but to the suburban yummy mummy it was MY mercedes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Unfortunately the R-Class has been dropped from the U.S. market.

At least they'll still get a good portion of those buyers to one of the SUV's closest in what it provides that's similar to what the R-Class accomplished for them.

·
Registered
933 Posts
When I was at the factory in February, I saw plenty of R classes... getting loaded on a train headed to China. I'd like to see the Metris expand to the V class and the Marco Polo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I prefer V-class metris. Minivan is really different with any size of SUVs. Metris is really a commerical van and v-class will let me sign it without second thought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts